Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Failed Brand String Test on IPDT - Help!

RMurp4
Beginner

So, I just did the Win 10 Creator update yesterday. Today, I was on irs.gov (yikes!) and got the BSOD with the error of Critical Structure Corruption at the bottom. I did a quick search as to what I should do, and I was lead here to run the IPDT. Everything passed except for the Brand String Test. This is a refurbished computer I bought in April. Suggestions? I need them in layman's terms, as I'm really stretching on trying to figure this out.

I'm not sure if the whole report is needed, so I'm just copying the part about the Brand String Fail:

CPU1

CPU Brand String Test

Module Version: 1.0.14.64b.W

Start Time: Wed Jul 12 16:16:26 2017

Test Result - FAIL

..no valid string parts found..

Detected: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

String part compare error

End Time: Wed Jul 12 16:16:26 2017

Total Time: seconds: 0

------------------------------------

System Information

------------------

Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

Processor Information: Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10

Number of Physical Cores: 2

Number of Logical Cores: 2

Installed System Memory: 8 GB

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Graphics Information: Intel(R) Q35 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0)

System Product: 0DR845

System BIOS: A11

System Serial Number: CGFDXH1

--------------------------------------------------------------------

--- IPDT64 - End Time: 7/12/2017 4:21:18 PM

--- IPDT64 - Result: Fail
0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello theroyalmurphys,

Thank you for joining the Intel® Community.

Make sure you are running the latest BIOS, chipset driver and management driver on your computer, once done run the tool one more time.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

theroyalmurphys, if you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
RMurp4
Beginner

Thank you. I downloaded the Intel Driver Update Utility and it showed I needed to update my chipset driver, however, it fails every time. I also went onto Dell's site to see if I am running a current BIOS [all of this is foreign to me, please be patient!] and the site is showing I need to update it. Everything I've read about updating BIOS scares the bejeebers out of me. I am trying to get a hold of the company that sold the computer to me, as I don't know if this falls under a typical warranty, but they do have a one year warranty. It's very frustrating as everything worked fine until I did the recent Win 10 Creator update.

If you have any suggestions, I'll take them!

Blessings,

R. Murphy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My recommendation is to get the drivers manually from Dell's site. One more thing I would like to mention regarding your system configuration is that your graphics controller does not support Windows® 10, so this inconvenient could be related to this fact. Since this operating system is not supported, from our end there are no drivers available; therefore, the Intel® Driver Update Utility fails to update the driver, and is not likely to get drivers from your computer manufacturer's site for this specific configuration. However, this should be confirmed by Dell's support.

In this case the Intel® Q35 Express Chipset supports the following operating systems, for these you should be able to install the chipset driver from our end:

• Windows 2000*
  • Windows XP*
  • Windows Vista*
  • Windows 7

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
RMurp4
Beginner

Amy, thank you so much for your help. I did a reset last night, but I'm still getting the BSOD, with a different message each time. I think I've lasted longer on this than I should have. Now, after the system reset, I seem to have more problems than before, like I can't open the Action Center, MS Edge, or even the Start button panel. I'm at a complete loss, so I'll have to take it to the professionals. What's frustrating is that I've had it a few months and haven't put anything on the machine, except for Chrome and Open Office. Oh well!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I truly apologize for the inconvenient, I understand it.

There is one more thing you could try which is to "Clean" install the operating system, this should bypass any issue caused by the corrected files on the operating system partition.

Something like this: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-2624904 How to Clean Install (Delete & Reinstall) Windows

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
RMurp4
Beginner

Amy, Thank you, I did the Reset last night, and that's how I can't access my Start button, Action Center, or many of the icons in my task bar. They're all there, just when I click on them now, they don't do anything, unless I right-click and then I have a few options with Start. I've never felt so ignorant with computers until this all started happening! I had to pull out my old 2008 Dell, which still runs on Vista, just so I could print some documents since Edge won't stay open on the newer computer. Since the Reset, I've made sure to update all drivers (amazingly by finding IE 12 in the Program files, so I can actually access the internets!!) Now, I'm going to check on the BIOS with Dell and see if that's what ultimately needs to be updated. Thank you so much for responding so quickly!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure R, you're welcome.

Please let me know how it goes with the BIOS update or if you take the computer to a computer shop, as you mentioned.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
RMurp4
Beginner

Okay, I did another reset and -voila!- everything is working! So far, no BSOD, and I have access to all icons on the taskbar. I'm nervous to check on drivers and BIOS at this point, again, as I'm afraid to trigger any issues. Although, I am a fan of prevention, so, I might check on those things after enjoying a glitch-free morning. :-)

Thank you so much for your patience and assistance!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am glad to hear that! Hopefully the reset fixed the issue once and for all.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos