Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Graphics Problems with my new Processor

jdburdick
Beginner

I recently bought an i5-11600K, 3.9Ghz processor with integrated graphics for my PC build and I believe the graphics are faulty. 

During the first/initial build nothing even showed up on my screen and the QLED on my motherboard indicated a graphics problem. After some research into the problem I ended up uninstalling the CPU from the socket, checking both for dirt/damage (which I didn't find after around 10 minutes of examination) and then reseated the CPU in the socket. When I did this the monitor came on, but I still am dealing with a variety of pixel-related issues that show there's still a problem (flickering pixels, pixels are darker/changed color than they should be, blank pixels, etc. - Pictures of these issues attached to this post). 

My troubleshooting has included trying different monitors, different connecting cables, updating BIOS and drivers, and spending an hour on the phone with my motherboard provider trying a variety of tests with my motherboard to determine if it was the problem. All of this work is pointing to the fact that the CPU is the issue. 

Is there anything I can do to try and fix this problem? Or is the CPU (specifically the onboard graphics) the problem and I'll need to get a replacement?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yea, the motherboard suppliers will *always* blame it on the processor. In many of these cases, this is the result of the pins in the socket being out of alignment with the processor's pads. This can be the result of damage at the factory, in transit or during the (perhaps improper) installation of the processor. I am not saying that this is your problem or what has happened, just what I think of the support people at these motherboard companies and their attempts to pass the buck (and/or trying to avoid subsequent support calls and/or identify a way to avoid replacing the board and/or trying to find a way to charge you money for the support).

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yea, the motherboard suppliers will *always* blame it on the processor. In many of these cases, this is the result of the pins in the socket being out of alignment with the processor's pads. This can be the result of damage at the factory, in transit or during the (perhaps improper) installation of the processor. I am not saying that this is your problem or what has happened, just what I think of the support people at these motherboard companies and their attempts to pass the buck (and/or trying to avoid subsequent support calls and/or identify a way to avoid replacing the board and/or trying to find a way to charge you money for the support).

...S

0 Kudos
jdburdick
Beginner

It turns out that it was a driver issue. The reason I didn't find it before was because none of the tools I was using could find the most up to date drive, including Intel's Graphics Command Center. I stumbled on it in another thread and once it was installed and my PC was restarted the issue went away. 

0 Kudos