Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14530 Discussions

HDMI 2.0 Support on Core 8th Gen

hcsitas
Beginner

How is HDMI 2.0 support possible with an 8th gen chip (Mac mini 2018)? The chip specs say HDMI 1.4.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Apple has requested all question regarding their product be directed to Apple support.

Doc

0 Kudos
hcsitas
Beginner

Never mind Apple which was just an example. Can an core 8th Gen CPU with UHD 630 deliver 4K HDMI 2.0 at 60 Hz? How?

0 Kudos
hcsitas
Beginner

Didn’t help unfortunately. Let’s hope someone more knowledgeable steps in...thanks anyways.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Since you were not specific on a processor, I picked one for you:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/148263/intel-core-i7-8086k-processor-12m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html

Read the "Processor Graphics" section.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Additionally, you did not read the thread I linked to, with Scott Pearson's response. So, here it is for you:

"A device called a Level Shifter Protocol Converter (LSPCon) can be used to convert a DisplayPort output stream into a HDMI output stream. These are currently being used on PC motherboards, in IC (chip) form, to convert one or more of the the processor's output channels, configured as DisplayPort 1.2 output channels, into HDMI 2.0 output channels. This overcomes (albeit at a cost) the processor's HDMI 1.4a limitation."

Doc

0 Kudos
hcsitas
Beginner

It only affirms my question

”Max Resolution (HDMI 1.4)‡4096x2304@24Hz“

No HDMI 2.0, no 60 Hz. In fact I couldn’t find a single CPU, any gen that supports it. Fact or fiction, what gives?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What gives is you are not reading the response above. Fact: HDMI 1.4. But, if the board uses LSPCon, it can create HDMI 2.0 output. It is up to the board manufacturer. Expensive boards may have LSPCon, cheap boards probably not.

Doc

0 Kudos
hcsitas
Beginner

So we agree, as yet there is no native support by Intel for HDMI 2.0, anyone claiming on that basis alone is misleading the market. Thank you.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

No one is misleading anyone. The processor supports what it says it supports, and the board manufacturer supports what it says it supports. Sometimes, it is up to the end-user, such as yourself, to ask the question and do a little bit of research.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you understand the confusion.

Doc

hcsitas
Beginner

It is misleading if the gap is not up-front explained and/or the presence of an LSPCon (an imperfect workaround that bypasses native HDMI and serves up a spoofed version) doesn’t show up in System Information or is otherwise unverifiable.

However, fudging HDMI 2.0+ appears to be an industry-wide problem (outside of Intel who, to their credit, make no claims about it). Hopefully everyone will get their ducks in a row soon. The lesson for me is to stick to 1.4 for now irrespective of what’s claimed.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

As always, especially in today's world, Caveat emptor.

Doc

0 Kudos