Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

HW Error i9-10850K

DoctorDan
Beginner

I've got the same error message:

To start with, at the moment the machine has DDR4-2133 ram. I gather from your comments that this may be an issue.

Nevertheless this is what I have done so far:

1 - I have tried ubuntu 20.04 and 21.10, fedora 34, and manjaro. I have tried linux kernels 5.11 and 5.13. They all report the same error.

2 - the Processor diagnostic run on win 1- claims everything is OK.

3 - I have replace the gigabyte z580-A Master with an ASUS z590-Prime. Same error.

4 - I have tried both 1 and 2 sticks of memory. Same error.

5 - I have tried a different brand of DDR4-2133. Same error.

Like erstrauss, Since I don't really understand where these errors come from or what they mean, I wonder about the implications and long-term potential for problems if the errors can't be eliminated.

I doubt that running all of the logs that you requested of erstrauss would show anything different than what he reported.

In my mind, it's difficult for me to eliminated the processor as being part or all of the problem despite the fact that the diagnostic passed. Does it really test everything that could cause this particular problem.

I would appreciate your help in resolving this and in helping me to understand the origin of the messages.

Thank you,

Dan Essin

p.s. I tried to append this to an existing thread but whatever I did ended up as a message, not a post.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel

Hello DoctorDan

Sure!, we are glad to help, and thank you for your response.

If you have any other inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back. Otherwise, if you believe everything is fine now, please kindly let us know if you would like to consider this thread is solved.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DoctorDan
Beginner

These errors seem to go away when the motherboard RAM speed is set to match the speed of the RAM. Otherwise the RAM speed defaults to 2133 and the mce's occur. Time will tell if this is actually the definitive solution.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @DoctorDan

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that this is related to an existing thread. Is this correct? Could you please provide more details or a link as a reference?

Also, regarding your last post, do you mean that you have found a possible solution? Is the problem solved or do you need further assistance?

If you need further support, please provide us with the following details:

1- Please elaborate more about the exact issue or behavior. We reviewed the screenshot; however, we would appreciate it if you provide us with more details. For instance, what problems does the error message causes? Is the system crashing, not booting, or having performance issues? Do you have the same problem/behavior using Windows*?

2- Is this a new system? Did it work fine before or are you having these problems since the very first day that you have the computer and the processor?

3- What steps were taken to troubleshoot this issue? 

4- Make, model, and part number of the Random Access Memory (RAM) that you have tested:

5- Did you overclock the processor?

6- Did you enable Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) and if yes, what was the memory speed configured?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
DoctorDan
Beginner

2 - This is a new system. Plugged kn the cpu and ram and powered up. No config of bios done. 

1 - boot any linux distro,  the first three lines (the screen shot)  anre what appear immediately

3 - Steps taken

- searched the internet for 8 hours. Found many with the problem but no answers,  including the post by erstraus.

- swapped ram

4 - G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GVK

-  some other g. Skill 2x16

5 - no over-clocking.  All standard

6 - did not know about or enable xmp at the time.  No mention of it in the Asus docs. In fact,  no bios manual at all.

re:  your initial question.  I am the reference for the solution.  No one else jas,  to my knowledge,  ever resolved this problem or,  if they did,  they didn't post it.

Since then I have replaced the g. Skill with 2x32 corsair ram listed by asus as compatible,  enabled xmp and again have no problems and no mce error.

Cirrent ram info attached

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello DoctorDan

Thank you for your response and for the information, this is very useful.

There is one thing that we would like to clarify before we move forward. We understand that you installed a new RAM kit from Corsair* (part # CMK64GX4M2D3600C18*). We understand that you enabled Intel® XMP and have had no issues since then. Based on the file attached, it seems that the RAM speed configured by Intel® XMP is 3597MHz. Is this correct? Or could you please confirm what is the current RAM speed configured on the system?

Just to make sure, if you disable Intel® XMP and run the memory using the default speed, does the problem returns? Please provide details and what is the default speed once you tried this.

Note:

It is worth mentioning that the Maximum Memory Speed supported by the Intel® Core™ i9-10850K Processor is DDR4-2933. Altering the frequency and/or voltage outside of Intel specifications may void the processor warranty. Examples: Overclocking and enabling Intel® XMP, which is a type of memory overclocking, and using it beyond the given specifications may void the processor warranty.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
DoctorDan
Beginner

Hi,

If I disable XMP and set the RAM speed in the bios to match the speed advertised by the mfr (3600). The machine fails the POST. If I back the BIOS speed off to 3300, the machine will POST but Fedora will not boot (no errors, just hangs on the initrd line)

With XMP disabled, if I set the BIOS RAM speed to 3000, Fedora will boot with NO mce errors.

With XMP enabled RAM speed as configured by Intel® XMP is 3597MHz and the machine boots and runs as expected.

As a reminder, I got the mce errors with G.Skill DDR4-3200 RAM and XMP disabled. That was before I know anything about XMP. I just plugged in the RAM and fired it up.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello DoctorDan

Thank you very much for your response and for the clarification.

It is common that motherboards may support a different and wide range of Memory Speeds. However, it is important to highlight that the Maximum Memory Speed supported by the Intel® Core™ i9-10850K Processor is 2933MHz.

We understand that you experience the "mce Hardware Error" with the RAM speeds at "3300MHz or 3600MHz"; however, these speeds are higher than the memory speed supported by the processor and we cannot guarantee the operation of the processor beyond Intel's published specifications.

Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) lets end-users and enthusiasts overclock the RAM. However, since Intel® XMP is a type of memory overclocking, using it beyond the Intel's specifications (which may alter clock frequency and/or voltage) may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components and may reduce system stability and performance.

Memory modules usually contain two different XPM profiles; however, these profiles might not necessarily match the memory speed and voltage supported by the processor. For instance, an XMP Profile # 1 may be configured to match "the rated speed advertised for the memory module" (e.g. 3200MHz) which could be higher than the Max Speed supported by a particular CPU.

We do understand that there are no issues in these two scenarios:

• XMP disabled and RAM speed at 3000MHz (very close to what the processor supports)
  • XMP enabled and RAM speed configured by Intel® XMP at 3597MHz (beyond CPU's specifications).

We also understand that you first had the issue with "G.Skill DDR4-3200 RAM and XMP disabled". However, since there are no issues using the new Corsair* RAM with XMP disabled and the RAM speed running very close to what the processor supports (2933MHz) and considering you run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool under Windows* and the result was Ok, it seems the processor is working fine under specifications. Perhaps there was an issue with the previous kit of RAMs G.Skill* or a compatibility issue with those RAMs and the motherboard. (As per some Linux* distro forums, "Machine Check Exception (MCE)" is a type of computer hardware error that may relate to different components, one of them could be RAM DIMMs).

Checking the motherboard's website for "ASUS* Prime Z590-A", we see it supports RAM speed 2933MHz (same as the CPU). In this scenario, our recommendation is to configure the RAM at the settings that are supported by the CPU and motherboard and monitor the system to see if the current behavior is due to XMP/RAM settings. For this purpose, you may try loading BIOS defaults or verify with the motherboard manufacturer for assistance and steps to properly configure Memory Settings in the BIOS.

You may also check this further with ASUS* Support for additional suggestions and steps. For instance, if there are BIOS updates available for your system that may include fixes or improvements regarding system stability and/or RAM/XMP compatibility improvements. Or to review if there could be a compatibility issue with Linux* operating systems (OS) since they only list "Windows* 10 64-bit" as the supported OS*.

Note:

We understand that the "mce" error is displayed when booting Linux* OS. Just for reference purposes, is there any boot issue with Windows*?

Please feel free to share any feedback about these tests and if you have additional inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
DoctorDan
Beginner

Thanks for the clarification. It would have been nice to understand that, and its implications, up front. None of my searching discovered information as clear and to the point as what you have provided here. Hopefully this thread will help others in the future.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello DoctorDan

Sure!, we are glad to help, and thank you for your response.

If you have any other inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back. Otherwise, if you believe everything is fine now, please kindly let us know if you would like to consider this thread is solved.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello DoctorDan

We noticed that this thread has been marked as "Solved" and since there are no additional inquiries, we will proceed to close this request now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos