Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14505 Discussions

Has anyone had or heard of INTEL 7I cpu fan coming off motherboard during shipping

idata
Employee

Hi Everyone, I had to ship myworkstation to ATI TEC, so they could check out my videocard problem. Ship By Fedex from Florida to Canada. When My system got to ATI Tech, he email me and inform me that my cpu fan came complete off the motherborad. He couldnt believe it was from shipping. I need find out if shipping could shook the fin pins lose. Any Help be extremely appericate. Thanks James

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Salem_W_Intel1
Employee

Hi!

I confirm when we need a customer to return a processor with its heatsink/fan for Returned Material Authorization (RMA), we ask them to return these two, only, not the entire system assembled. My understanding is that you sent the whole, assembled workstation to ATI Tec; if so, although not that common, we do confirm the coming off of the cooler may happen, indeed. Regretfully, there's no way of knowing how your package was handled during shipping.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, Ati Tech try to tell that never happen, He seen pc all the time and this first one. Anyway I need some advice. Your correct i sent the whole system. I just got it back i am was shock as how it was repackage up. Whoever package it up. put the front side down. So all the inter part where hanging down. Plus the backside Had no protecttion, so whenever fedex put stuff on top of the box, the backside of the computer took the full load or hits.On that Note and not know if the ATI Tech put any heat sink compound back on it, before restating my system to check it. What would you advice me to do,if this was your Custom Pc?Should take it piece by piece and check everything, remove the hinksink check to see if got heat sink compound? Thinking of replacing the cup fan and hinksink. Any Info or help be extremely appericate. This was very bad time, was my first shipping my system.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Salem_W_Intel1
Employee

Hi!

I'd say make sure all of the parts are properly integrated, which includes ensuring the processor and heatsink/fan have the corresponding thermal paste.

See to it that there's no physical damage, either, on the entire system before attempting to turn it back on.

0 Kudos