Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Haswell EX E7 V3 and the cluster-on-die QPI snoop mode

JSaun1
Beginner

Hi,

Does the Haswell EX E7 V3 have the cluster-on-die QPI snoop mode? I have been unable to find clear documentation that states it either way. All documentation is focused on the EP E5 V3 processors.

Cheers,

Jeremy

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Jeremy_Saunders:

Let me double check this information with the engineering department. I will be updating this thread.

Regards

0 Kudos
JSaun1
Beginner

Hi Amy,

Do you have an answer for me?

Cheers,

Jeremy

0 Kudos
KTran10
New Contributor I

QPI E5 V3 should be the same as E7 in term of QPI, except EX has extra QPI.

0 Kudos
JSaun1
Beginner

Thanks langtu. I'm aware of that, but you didn't answer my question on snoop modes. You say "should" be the same, but you haven't referenced any documentation that clearly states that.

Cheers,

Jeremy

0 Kudos
JSaun1
Beginner

Thanks again langtu.

I've already read the QPI specs and completed extensive research.

The first document you referenced is for the E5 v3, which as we know already supports cluster-on-die.

The second document you referenced has no mention of cluster-on-die. It's actually a 2009 document, so pre-dates the technology.

So once again, does the Haswell EX E7 V3 have the cluster-on-die QPI snoop mode?

Cheers,

Jeremy

0 Kudos
KTran10
New Contributor I

EX E7 V3 has same specs as E5 V3.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, All:

langtu, thank you for your feedback.

@Jeremy_Saunders, I am still checking with the engineering department.

I will keep you posted.

Regards,

0 Kudos
JSaun1
Beginner

Thanks langtu. Where is the documentation that states that?

0 Kudos
JSaun1
Beginner
0 Kudos
JSaun1
Beginner

Hi Amy,

Its been over 3 weeks since I first posted this. Is Intel going to provide an answer?

Cheers,

Jeremy

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

@Jeremy_Saunders, I am still checking with the engineering department.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

0 Kudos
JSaun1
Beginner

Hi Amy,

It's now been 8 weeks and you've checked with the Engineering department, so surely you have an answer for me by now???

Cheers,

Jeremy

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Jeremy:

This is still under review, I apologize for the delay.

I will keep you posted.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JSaun1
Beginner

Come on Amy. This is ridiculous and rather embarrassing for Intel and yourself. How can it take 8+weeks to answer a simple question? You've been promising me an answer for weeks.

Cheers,

Jeremy

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Yes, Jeremy, I totally understand this. I am going to request an update for this.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi Jeremy,

I really apologize for the long time it took for my team to get this information, I am really sorry about that and let me tell you that because of that we are taking actions to improve our response time on issues such as this one. Again, I am really sorry about this and I have no excuses

This is the information I was able to get from the engineering team: Snoop Modes is not supported on Xeon E7 Haswell, only supported on Xeon E7 v4 Broadwell (+COD up to 4S)

I hope this helps,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
JSaun1
Beginner

Hi Ronny,

Thanks for your efforts in answering my question.

Can I ask for 1 clarification? What does "+COD up to 45" mean for the E7 v4 Broadwell? There is little information on the Broadwell E7 processors, so I'm not sure what that means?

Can you also give Mike some help with my other query here:

Cheers,

Jeremy

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi Jeremy,

COD up to 4S refers to Cluster on Die up to 4S when cluster on die (COD) operation mode is supported allowing CPU's multiple columns of cores.

Unfortunately most of any related information is only available to customers under (CNDA) Customer Non-Disclosure Agreement and with previous business justification and correspondent approval, of course it cannot be provided via this forum.

If you need more information I would recommend that you contact an Intel Field Application engineer or http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Support and create a service ticket, please provide as much information as possible about your business, reason for this information and business impact, they would have to escalate up the service ticket and have you going through the CNDA process.

I hope this helps,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
JSaun1
Beginner

Thanks Ronny. I understand what COD (Cluster on Die) is, I just don't know what "up to 45" means, or refers to?

• 45 Cores?
  • 45 megabytes of last-level cache?
  • 45 clusters, given that they will support configurations of up to 32 sockets?

I have attempted to contact support and contact Intel in Australia directly. Not a single response. Almost as bad as this forum.

I have also tried my contacts at HP and Dell.

Why don't you direct message me instead of making this information public, as Intel are proving to be pretty poor at communicating?

My e-mail address is mailto:jeremy@jhouseconsulting.com jeremy@jhouseconsulting.com

I require this information for a customer design, so it would be very embarrassing for Intel if I have to go back to them and say that it took 9 weeks for Intel to provide an answer, and it was vague, as they would still not provide the exact information required.

I would have thought that this forum thread and the other one I referenced are already embarrassing enough for Intel and highlight the poor communication. Therefore please supply me the information as requested so that I can get on with my job.

Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeremy

0 Kudos