Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

Have a P8700 running at 0.59Ghz should run at 2.53Ghz Any Ideas whats wrong?

Russ1150
Beginner

Have a P8700 running at 0.59Ghz should run at 2.53Ghz Any Ideas whats wrong? I have run the intel processor test and it passed all tests except the name..

It is in a Dell latitude E5500 laptop.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Processor from 2008 - that is 13 years ago.   I would probably recycle the laptop.  If not, I would re-do the thermal paste.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
Russ1150
Beginner

I redid the thermal paste and changed the processor. I also know it is old, just trying to figure out wht the processor will not go over 0.59Ghz. I had never seen this before.. Will probable give the unit to some meedy kids anyhow. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Changed the processor?  The same processor, or an upgrade processor?  If upgrade, did you check to see if your laptop bios supports the upgraded processor?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Throttling can be the result of processor or motherboard device (VR Controller, Super I/O, etc) signalling thermal or power issue.

...S

0 Kudos
Russ1150
Beginner

changed the processor with a different P8700 same response 0.59 Ghz max.

How would I find out if this thermal or poert issue is potentially the issue, the processor is not physically hot.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
If the processor is not getting hot, then there is likely an external PROCHOT assertion that is causing the throttling. You can verify this using the ThrottleStop application.
As for why, the most common reason would be a problem with the battery. The laptop may be throttling the processor to extend the battery time. If you have power brick plugged in and connected and you still see problem, you may need to replace the battery. If a replacement battery has the same issue, them problem could be in charge circuitry.
Hope this helps,
...S
0 Kudos
Russ1150
Beginner

Hi  Again, I tried the throttleStop and still have 0.59Ghz. Removed the battery no help. Monitored the temp stays under 110 degrees. Maybe it is time to file it in the trash..

Very frustrating

0 Kudos
Russ1150
Beginner

PS the speed never chnges it stays at 0.59Ghz

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

ThrottleStop doesn't fix anything; it just tells you what is causing the throttling.

...S

0 Kudos
Russ1150
Beginner

Hi, I accidently started the laptop on battery and there it was operating at the correct speed. It winds up I have been using an underpowered charger and it would limil the processor speed. Funny how the computer operates correctly when you use the correct power source..

Sorry to have troubled you but maybe it is something someone else may do in the future and this could help them correct their problem.

Thank you for your assistance..

0 Kudos