Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14397 Discussions

Having my i5 7600K running at 100% in games, got no clue

VBari
Beginner

Hello! I've got a i5 7600K CPU and recently I've noticed that in certain demanding apps like games, for example BF1, it started to work at 100% resulting in game stuttering to the point it's almost unplayable.

I've been having this CPU for almost 2 years now, I used to play the game a lot and it never happened before, everything was smooth. First I thought it could be the game itself, but then I saw the same tendence in other games even in not so graphically intense ones. I tried to use the previous version of GPU drivers, but nothing has changed. I've reinstall the OS, completely clean set up, to make sure it wasn't some sort of worm or miner in my system stealing the performance. Still no good. I've cleaned my hardware of the dust, changed thermo paste on the CPU and updated the BIOS to the latest version. Still 80-100% usage in task manager and fps drops in games.

I've been tracking temperatures on the core and it seems to be OK - 50-60C degrees while working.  Benchmarks show no big difference from other people's results with the same processor.

I'm run out of ideas and would appreciate any help.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

uninstall the unwanted applications ,

remove startup items from task manager

certain windows services which are not usefull , so disable or make it manual in services.msc

Install good total security software like Kaspersky total security software , do full scan

Update latest Intel management engine firmware from oem manufacturer

Update latest intel management engine components driver from oem manufacturer

update latest intel chipset driver from oem manufacturer

update latest BIOS from oem manufacturer

Update latest DCH or standard WHQL graphics driver from oem manufacturer

0 Kudos
VBari
Beginner

Hi! Thanks for answering.

Like I mendtioned I had to reinstall Windows so now I have very few applications, only the necessary ones. The same with my startup - I left only viable programmes in the list. Before reinstalling the system I've done a full scan with Kaspersky and Dr. Web tools but they found nothing. And even if they missed anything after formating my OS drive and doing clean setup there should be no viruses left.

I've already updated my BIOS and my Graphics driver.

As for the Intel management engine update and chipset update - those are the only two things I haven't tried yet. I'm going to try it, but don't think it will make any difference.

By the way, my other specs are GeForce 1060GTX 6Gb, 16Gb RAM, Gygabite Z270X motherboard.

0 Kudos
AIvan29
Beginner

I have the same problem, only the i5 6500 processor. I've already tried everything.

0 Kudos
VBari
Beginner

What anti-virus do you use? I've been using Kaspersky since I bought my computer, but few weeks ago I decided to try Windows 10 default anti-virus instead. So after trying almost everything I switched to kaspersky again and it's sort of replaces windows anti-virus, blocking it's functions. Then I tried to test some games like BF1 for instance. And even though my CPU was still working at 100% during the game, there were no stutters at all.

0 Kudos
AIvan29
Beginner

I have already tried everything, even put Windows 7 without updates, it’s still 100% loading ... By the way, this happens in GTA 5. My system is I5 6500 gigabyte 1060 6Gb drr4 16 Gb motherboard GA-B150M-D2V

0 Kudos
AIvan29
Beginner

and this is not anti-virus. This is a processor microcode update. and yes, I also have ativirus Kaspersky

0 Kudos
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

​Hey I use  Kaspersky total security  2019  , I have  disabled  windows  defender  by group policy , disabled  windows firewall .I disabled  windows  defender real  scanning in group policy  .

I have  updated necessary  intel ME  firmware  , intel  Storage rste premium controller , intel management  engine components  already

my  laptop runs normally with i5 7200u  at less than 35 *C  , but  it goes  to 100*c only  when I playing heavy games .

after finished playing game , it comes back to normal  with 45seconds

0 Kudos
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

​I agree  while  playing gemes  , cpu temperature reaches  100*C  because games  uses all the resources gives  heavy graphics  scenes .

but  after finished , still you getting  that 100*C  means its  a problem in softwares or  drivers

I  frankly  tell you  ,  except   asus  precision  touchpad driver , remaining all the drivers  download  from  intel , NVidia ,  Lenovo , hp  and  dell  .

Even  Bios  taken from Microsoft  windows  update

0 Kudos
VBari
Beginner

What do you mean when talking about processor microcode update? That we don't have it? I've updated my BIOS to the latest version and this version was supposed to update CPU microcode (at least that's what they wrote in update description) though it didn't help much. But afte I disabled Windows real time scan by switching to another anti-virus I've noticed that stutters during the game dissapeared. My CPU is still running at 100% while I'm playing which is not good, but at least it's playable again. Now thinking about the time before the stutters occur I might have had 100% CPU all the time, because I never cared to check it before.

0 Kudos
VBari
Beginner

@RAJU2529 I wasn't talking about 100*C, my temperature is within it's normal range, I was talking only about CPU running at it's 100% performance. Also I've noticed that whenever it happens and my CPU is struggling, the GPU is running at 20-30%. I wish it would pulled it's weight too and took part of work from the processor.

0 Kudos
AIvan29
Beginner

I have the same thing that you describe, before that there were all the rules. My old Core 2 Quad 9400 processor worked better for me. The i5 6500 also worked fine until it was updated. And in the game I put on a minimum of settings, the map is not loaded, but the percent is still loaded to the eye. windows reinstalled !!! nothing but the game GTA 5 is not set.

0 Kudos
AIvan29
Beginner

My temperature is good, more than 58 at 100% of the processor's load does not rise. The problem is exactly what the processor microcode was updated. it seems to me

0 Kudos
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

how did you updated microcode , by using windows update particular kb , or by updating bios firmware , I need exact revision ,so type below commands in cmd press enter , then take screenshoots of this result

C:\Windows\system32\reg.exe query HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0

C:\Windows\system32\reg.exe query HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\1

C:\Windows\system32\reg.exe query HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\2

C:\Windows\system32\reg.exe query HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\3

0 Kudos
AIvan29
Beginner

Yes, of course updated bios

0 Kudos
AIvan29
Beginner

Yes, everything is clear this is the intel policy. software obsolescence so that I just go and buy them a new processor

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello VBari, We would like to take a look at your system configuration to continue troubleshooting this issue. A. Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and attach the report generated: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool B. Run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread. 1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. C. Please list the games you are having this issue with. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello VBari, If you are still having the issue reported, we will be glad to help you. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos