Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14504 Discussions

Heat generation in a Xeon vs I7

QQQ00
Beginner

If I compare an I7 10850 vs a Xeon 10855

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=201897,201908

Which would generate less heat and why?

If needed I could TDP-down to 35W

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello User15910905279371253506,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

Based on our website, both processors have the same TDP theoretically they will produce the same heat. Now there is something so important about this, the heat of the processor not only depends on the processor itself, the heat will depend on the system set up (cooling solution Liquid or fan), case form factor, motherboard, thermal paste, and others important components of the system so depending on how the system has been set up the heat can vary.

TDP-down is a feature of each OEM by design to consume less power and produce less heat you might contact the system manufacturer of the laptop to check more about this feature.

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello User15910905279371253506,

Based on our website, both processors have the same TDP theoretically they will produce the same heat. Now there is something so important about this, the heat of the processor not only depends on the processor itself, the heat will depend on the system set up (cooling solution Liquid or fan), case form factor, motherboard, thermal paste, and others important components of the system so depending on how the system has been set up the heat can vary.

TDP-down is a feature of each OEM by design to consume less power and produce less heat you might contact the system manufacturer of the laptop to check more about this feature.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
QQQ00
Beginner

Thanks Adrian.

If all things were equal hardware wise in the others and you had the same set of processes running (usual browsing, email etc). Which would have a hotter average temperature?

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello QQQ00,

If all things were equal, they might produce the same heat there could be a little difference, taking into consideration the workload that both processors will be experiencing at that moment so the average could be very similar or it can vary. if one of the processors is only running basic or tasks and the other one is running a game which can be GPU intensive then one of them will be producing more heat so this variable and dependant on what the environment is (Hardware, software).

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
QQQ00
Beginner

Thank you Adrian!

If you were personally picking a PC and cared a lot about heat generation, would you go with I7 or Xeon to be safe?

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello NPhuo3,

Thank you for your response.

If had to choose it would depend on what I would be looking for Intel® Xeon® Processor-Based Mobile Workstation these Intel's CPU lineup it's aimed primarily at business workstations and servers providing a spectrum of performance, reliability, and expandability that extends well beyond the capabilities of standard mobile computers it also has ECC memory protects your system from potential crashes and changes in data.

Intel® Core™ i7 Processors are meant for high-end gaming, multitasking, and content creation.

It's worth mentioning that these are mobile processors so commonly these ones are sold to the OEM's (Lenovo*, Dell*, etc) if you want to buy a laptop with this processor you might take in consideration the other components previously mentioned that can vary the heat of your processor and system.

Mobile Workstation Laptops Powered by Intel

Intel® Core™ Processor Family

On the links above you can get more information and details about the difference between these processors, depending on what you are looking for you might choose that one that covers the needs of your business, entertainment (gaming, streaming), etc.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos