Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

Heat spreader damaged

RSchi13
Beginner

Dear,

I have a liquid-cooled Intel 9700k processor, currently not overclocked. For a period I used a waterblock produced by EK, the Velocity. Later I purchased a second waterblock, specifically the Eisblock produced by Alphacool. When I got home I realized that it was impossible to assemble it because of the very badly made hooking system, which maybe I would have been able to assemble only with the help of a second person who held me the base while I tried to screw the waterblock . I therefore thought of using the Velocity attachment base, which is really excellent and convenient to install, but I did not consider that it might not be 100% compatible. I tightened the screws to the limit and when I removed the processor for maintenance, I found large grooves on the sides, almost certainly caused by the excessive pressure exerted by the screws on the frame that holds the processor in place. The processor appears to be operating normally and does not appear to have suffered any damage. Now I have loosened the screws a little, but not very much, and perhaps not enough. I know it's a silly question, but do you think I have to worry? I imagine that the heat spreader is not replaceable and in any case it is possible that I would find myself later with the same problem, because the Alphacool hook is literally unusable.

Thanks so much.

Raffaele

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It doesn't look to me as if these indentations are anywhere near where it might cause damage to the processor.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello RSchi13,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community Forums.

Based on the picture you provided, we don't see that the physical damage will affect the processor performance, however, if you want to test your processor you can run the below test:

Intel* Processor Diagnostic Tool. The diagnostic tool checks for brand identification, verifies the processor operating frequency, tests specific processor features, and performs a stress test on the processor. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

The only recommendation is to be careful when installing the cooling solution and check the compatibility before installing it.

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello RSchi13,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello RSchi13,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need further assistance, please create a new thread.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos