Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14397 Discussions

Heating of i7 8550U processor.

DBaks1
Beginner

I purchased Dell 7572 with i7 8550U processor. I am facing issue of heating.

1) During the normal operation of laptop (Downloading,Net surfing, video watching CPU max. temp. reaches to 85 to 90 deg C. Is it normal to have 80-90 deg C temperature?

2) When I connect charger then CPU max. temp. goes up-to 96-99 deg C. I am not getting any idea, why temp. reaches 99 deg C during charging. Also while playing games temp. reaches 95-99 deg C.

Please note that, I have installed all updates along with Bios.

Please suggest your expert advice.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you discussed this with Dell? If not, you should; they are responsible for the cooling solution in this laptop. Are they indicating that this is normal? As far as I am concerned, there is something wrong with the cooling solution if it is letting the processor get to 99c.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
DBaks1
Beginner

Thank for your reply.

Yes, I discussed with dell regarding laptop issue. My laptop was facing two issues, one is fan was making loud noise but it unable to reduce the temperature, so dell replaced the heat sink. After that fan works normal but heating issue remain same. I communicated this with recorded temperature parameter, but dell is saying that system is running as per design parameter. And they are not ready to accept the third-party software readings. I used HWMonitor and HWiNFO64 recording. Due to this I raised the query on this forum so that I will get some guidance. Can you / Intel suggest software for CPU temperature monitoring?

I purchased this laptop considering heavy use of the technical software and gaming but on medium load and charging it is running at 85 - 90 deg regularly. Now I just want to know from Intel that, running laptop at 85-90 deg regularly is OK or not, considering the long health of the laptop?

Thank You

Regards

Dhiraj

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello DBaks1,

We recommend running the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to check the health of your processor.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I recommend using AIDA64. It is only package that I have found that properly identifies the sensors.

...S

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello DBaks1,

If your computer is not overclocked, and is running under the design specifications, then your computer should continue working as expected. Under heavy load (e.g. gaming or stress tests), your system can reach high temperatures. As stated before on this thread, using a compatible fan/cooling solution is necessary to keep your system functioning.

Were you able to find useful information from the tools recommended to check the processor temperature?

Under package specifications, you can find the maximum temperature for your Intel® Processor > Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
DBaks1
Beginner

Hello WannerG

Thank you for reply.

1) I have installed  Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. On normal usage and specifically during charging CPU max temp reaches to 98 Deg C. Test shows "pass" as, it has not reached temp of 105 Deg C(max CPU temp). Also during the downloading+net surfing and watching video temperature reaches 95 deg C. If laptop runs on temp range of 90 to 95 deg C, for 5 hours a day x 300 day, will it be fine and we can say that it is running as per design, because test shows "pass" and not showing any temp warning.

2) Regarding the rise in temp during charging I got the below reply from dell

"The system temperature may increase when you plugin the charger because the charge is being transferred to system using the electricity which produces heat so system and adapter can heat while charging and especially while the system is in use , it will heat more" 

So please suggest your technical advice on above two points

Thank You

Regards

Dhiraj Bakshe

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello DBaks1,

Thank you for letting us know the results provided by the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool.

It is expected for systems to report high temperatures. However, the behavior you are describing indicates that there is an issue with the thermal/cooling solution on your computer. This issue could also be caused by dust, faulty fan, lack of air flow, among other factors. 

You can try:

1. Keeping your system up to date (BIOS, operating system, etc.)

2. Load BIOS default settings.

3. Ensure proper ventilation

Our recommendation is that you can contact your system manufacturer to check that the cooling solution is working properly.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
DBaks1
Beginner

Hi

Actually system is new. I purchased it in Jan-19. There is no dust accumulation . Bios are up to date. I always operate laptop on flat surface. Dell changed the heat sink due to heating and fan noise problem. I again raise the issue of high CPU temp but dell is saying that system is running as per design.

I observed the CPU temperature and I found that max temp reaches to 99 deg C but after that temp comes down to 80 - 85 deg C. As per the temp. recording of one hour, near about 10 % reading are between the 95-99 deg C. Is this normal for this CPU?

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello DBaks1,

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
AGate
Beginner

Lets try to troubleshoot these with some physical ways.

Check the fan heatsink

Check the airflow

Use the correct chassis

Ensure proper ventilation

Make sure that you load default settings in BIOS.

Update the BIOS.

Undo any recent changes made if you've installed a new system.

Loose cables.

Now let`s try to troubleshoot it via software.

Or you can try Intel`s Diagnostic tools as it is a proven thing for resolving most of such overheating issues.

Regards,

Adrian

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello DBaks1,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello DBaks1,

The processor may operate in conditions that are near to its maximum operating temperature. To allow long-term reliability of an Intel® Processor, the system/processor thermal solution should be designed to keep it cool and below the maximum temperature allowed.

We recommend contacting Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for further support and warranty options if applicable.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
AGate
Beginner

Does the system heat up & shutdown or restart?

Does this happen irrespective of the application being used?

Does this happen immediately upon startup or after using the system for a while?

What is the BIOS version installed?

0 Kudos
DBaks1
Beginner

System runs at 95 to 99 Deg C during charging or video play, internet surfing, downloading. It does not restart or shut down when it runs at mentioned temp. Bios are up to date. My only worry is that if laptop runs at this temperature, will it be ok for the long term operation.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

While I consider these temperatures to be totally unacceptable, Intel and Dell seem to think that this is ok and that the life expectancy of the processor is not adversely affected by these temperatures. Of course, they guarantee the operation of the processor for a maximum of three years (if even that long) and Dell certainly doesn't care what happens after that.

I don't care what Dell says, if it heats the system up that much while charging, there is something seriously wrong. I really think they screwed something up during that repair...

Just my opinions,

...S

0 Kudos
Juanzenitam
Beginner
Yo tengo un asus con este mismo procesador y durante los juegos como gta V el procesador ronda de 70 a 80°c y en dias calurosos como maximo 90°c y tambien me parece q es una temperatura excesiva. En trabajos básicos la temperatura es de 40 a 50 °c maximo 60°c
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Which is all just fine. There is nothing wrong with any of these temperatures. I would be concerned if I was seeing temperatures in the 100c vicinity, however. In this case, I would be looking for issues with the cooling subsystem, either incorrectly applied, incorrectly configured or inadequate for the processor TDP.

...S

0 Kudos