Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14530 Discussions

Hello i have a question about the high temperature my processor reaches when its under pressure like gaming, i want to know is that normal behaviour or i have some kind of a problem?

MMick3
Beginner

I have Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, and it reaches about 90-95 °C going up to the red zone on the performance monitor, i want to know do i have some kind of problem with the CPU or the fan because it constantly overheats under pressure or thats just the way the CPU is?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

90c is not unreasonable, but 95c is concerning. Do you have any level of control over the configuration of the cooling subsystem (typically in BIOS Setup)?

0 Kudos
MMick3
Beginner

Yes as a matter of fact i do and i tried to push the fan to work at maximum speed at any time and its still overheating.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you tried cleaning the blowers and cooling channels using a can of compressed air?

0 Kudos
MMick3
Beginner

I have done that around a month ago it still looks clean, i dont think that's the problem.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, if you have them cleaned out and you've done all you can using the BIOS configuration capabilities, the next step is replacing the TIM on the top of the processor. This is not something you should do if you are still under warranty. If you are under warranty, you should be talking to your laptop vendor regarding this issue.

...S

0 Kudos
MMick3
Beginner

Alright ty very much for the advice, i also thought to check about hidden background processes maybe something the windows defender didnt caught i think that can also be the main source of the problem with the overheating i guess or maybe bad optimization of the game.

0 Kudos