Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14531 Discussions

Help! New i9-9900K and motherboard causing an unstable system.

vbudd
Beginner

Bought a new CPU today and a new motherboard to go with it. I got an intel Core i9-9900k and an Asus Maximus XI Hero. After installing the new mobo and cpu I booted the system and everything boots and launches fine. The problem I am having is that the system is unstable, with windows lagging and basically every program and game lagging as well. CPU usage was also unusually high (around 40% after booting with minimal amount of processes running). The first thing I realized is that the cpu was automatically overclocked by the the mobo’s BIOS (from 3.6GHz to 5.0GHz), so I went into bios and turned off turbo mode to get it to its factory setting. After booting again, I confirmed the cpu was running at its factory clock, however the lag persisted. I figured this was the issue, but apparently not. Resetting bios to default settings turns on turbo mode on the CPU, so that option doesn’t work for me. Below is a list of my previous and new specs.

Previous: Intel core i7 5820K Asus Rampage V Extreme Corsair vengeance 32gb 2400MHz Evga GeForce GTX 1070 SC

New: Intel core i9-9900k Asus Maximus XI Hero Corsair vengeance 32gb 2400MHz (Same ram) Evga GeForce GTX 1070 SC (Same gpu)

I can confirm I have an adequate power supply that works fine, as well as a cpu cooler that also works good (Corsair H100i v2) that I also used with my previous components.

Before the upgrade, my PC had no issues. Everything worked crystal clear and I regularly maintained it by making sure everything was always up to date such as drivers, software and firmware. Also made sure to regularly clean from dust to prevent thermal throttle. What I’m trying to say here is that there is nothing evident to me that anything else from my pc could be causing this issue as everything was perfect before.

In terms of fixing, I also made sure the cpu cooler was attached properly and bought a brand new thermal paste. Thermals seem to be fine as the cpu did not go over around 45C.

I also tried using ASUS AI Suite 3 to get it to tune my CPU to its optimal settings, but even that doesn’t change anything.

Could it be possible that the cpu is damaged or not installed properly or some type of hardware problem or is that just me panicking about the CPU’s hefty price tag?

Any suggestions and troubleshooting steps would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello vbudd, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. First, I would like to mention that when you are doing an upgrade like this it is recommended and almost necessary to do a clean installation of the operating system. This is because, if you are still using the previously installed operating system, the hard drive could still have drivers that were supposed to work with the other processor, thus, causing the stability problem. Now, If you have already cleanly installed the operating system after the upgrade of processor and motherboard, this could indicate a problem, still, it is recommended to do a re-installation of the operating system, please check the link below to get Microsoft's Creation Tool to create a USB that you can use to cleanly install the operating system: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 * Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. * Also, I would like to mention that the Intel ® Turbo Boost technology is not really overclocking and the 5.0 GHz is the maximum frequency that the processor reaches when using the technology. It is managed by the system and it increases the frequency or decreases depending on the task being handled at the moment. Keep Intel ® Turbo Boost Technology on if possible. Please let me know as well what you mean with "unstable". Is the system hanging? Freezing? Have you gotten a blue screen? Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello vbudd, Did you have the chance to check my post? Please let me know if you need any more assistance. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos