Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Help, i5-6600K with 3.50 GHz base drops down to 0.77 GHz randomly

TH-C0
Beginner

i5-6600K on a MSI Z170A Gaming M5 ATX LGA1151 motherboard (both purchased brand-new back in mid-2016)

Base clock speed of 3.50 GHz (with regular boosts up around 3.80 Ghz) but for some reason it has been going down to 0.77 GHz seemingly at random for random amounts of time. This started around 3 months ago, when I began noticing significant framerate drops while playing games. I didn't install any programs around that time prior to this issue being noticed (although I can get a list of programs installed if deemed necessary).

After some time away from this computer (hence the 3 month time frame), the problem continued, so I finally did some diagnostics and attempted to solve this issue.

Sometimes the clock speed will get back up to the base/boost speed on its own. Sometimes restarting the computer will temporarily bring the clock speed back up to base speed, and other times this issue persists through restarts (leaving the computer off for extended periods of time doesn't change this). I have experienced this issue while putting the computer under stress (gaming) and while only using an internet browser (including while typing this). I have seen the reduced speed reflected in the BIOS (it registered as 0.8 GHz), but I have never done any over clocking or changed any related BIOS setting from the default.

Thermals and utilization don't seem to be causes. I have tried the following and this issue persists:

• I switched out the power supply with a known working one.
  • I reaseated the CPU and applied new thermal paste.
  • I ensured the slow mode switch on the motherboard is set to defualt/off.
  • I reset all BIOS settings to default.
  • I updated the BIOS.
  • I reseated the CMOS battery.

Any help/recommendations welcome and if I can provide any more information you might think would be of use, feel free to ask. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, this sounds like some sort of throttling is occurring. This can be the result of power budgets being exceeded. If nothing else, I would suggest that you try running with a different power supply (but don't purchase one just yet; we don't know if this is actually the issue).

...S

0 Kudos
TH-C0
Beginner

I thought that power budget might be an issue as well, which is why I switched out my power supply with another for testing and the issue still occurred.

0 Kudos
Gh0stb1t
New Contributor I

Test behavior by disabling Intel SpeedStep Technology on your BIOS motherboard, check page 58 in User´s manual:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-M5#down-manual

0 Kudos
TH-C0
Beginner

After disabling it, the CPU has only been running at the .77 GHz... Re-enabled (and reloaded defaults) and still stuck there.

0 Kudos
TH-C0
Beginner

Here's a screenshot of the BIOS (I set​ EIST back to enabled after taking this).MSI_SnapShot.bmp

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello TH-C0,

We would like to jump in and provide some recommendations. First, we would like to have some information about your system configuration.

Run the following tools and attach a report and/or pictures showing the results.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
TH-C0
Beginner

Here are the logs you requested.

It's running at base/boost again, but dipped down to the .77 while playing a game.

0 Kudos
TH-C0
Beginner
0 Kudos
TH-C0
Beginner

After uploading those, it dropped back down to .77, and here are the logs that reflect that.

0 Kudos
TH-C0
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello TH-C0, 

Thank you for attaching the reports requested.

Based on these results, the processor is working under design specifications.

In this scenario, what we can recommend is that you perform a clean installation of the operating system. After that, try to load BIOS default settings.

If the problem continues to happen randomly, then we suggest that you contact Intel Customer Support in your region to get a replacement.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
TH-C0
Beginner

Just did a fresh install, reset all BIOS options to default again, and I'm using the better power supply. Still running at .77 GHz unfortunately. Would I be eligible for a replacement given that I purchased this processor almost 4 years ago?

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello TH-C0,

Thank you for the update.

The Intel® Boxed Processors come with either three-year or one-year limited warranty. If you think that your Intel® Boxed Processor is still under warranty, you may contact Intel Customer Support. Be prepared to provide your proof of purchase.

Now, to check the warranty eligibility for your processor, you can use the online warranty information page

You'll need the batch number (FPO) and the full or partial serial number (full or partial ATPO) from either the markings on the processor or from the shipping box.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
TH-C0
Beginner

Okay, so no, I'm not eligible for a limited warranty because it has been more than 3 years since I purchased this processor as previously stated. I would be more than willing to comply with a temporary replacement so as to allow more complete diagnostics to be run on this processor.

Any other recommendations and/or advice regarding this issue are appreciated. If I could provide any additional information, logs, screenshots, and/or screen capture in the hopes it/they could be used to hopefully resolve this issue, just let me know and I'll provide it/them.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello TH-C0,

We will look into this issue and update this thread soon.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello TH-C0,

Based on the troubleshooting performed, and given that you already reinstalled the operating system, what we can recommend is that you contact your motherboard manufacturer to check the current BIOS configuration.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
TH-C0
Beginner

I've created a post/thread on the MSI forums and it can be found here. As mentioned though, I already attempted to resolve this issue by ensuring the BIOS options were all set to default and then performing a BIOS update.

0 Kudos
TH-C0
Beginner

Thank y'all for the attempted assistance. I reinstalled Windows 10 when it was requested of me, but the issue persisted. I'm unsure why, but, ever since a Windows update in late February/early March, I have experienced no issues. I'm extremely unsure why this issue occurred. Apologies again for not being more helpful to y'all when this issue was occurring.

0 Kudos
TH-C0
Beginner

6 months later and the issue has reappeared. I'm reopening both of the old threads for additional comments and hopefully some help in resolving this. Thanks!

0 Kudos
IgorCuzIgor
Beginner

Man, I recommend you watch this video "youtube.com/watch?v=ypmC_CJ_P88". I had a similar problem. The ThrottleStop app helped me (at site TechPowerUp). You need to disable the BD PROCHOT parameter. The reason is that the sensor on the MSI motherboard has stopped working.

0 Kudos