Processors
IntelĀ® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Help me! Intel XTU bug on i5-4300u (surface pro 4)

BAlle4
Beginner

Hi,

XTU has a nasty bug missreading a hidden value somewhere causing my SP4 to throttle (0,4G) after a crash. (when loading defaults)

Checked the values thru cmd and seem the same.

After some digging it seems to be on "Turbo Boost Short Power Max Enable"

Disabling this and throttle goes away. Re-enabling it and back to 0.4Ghz.

(The value is the default 25W)

Workaround,

Bring up or down the value of "Turbo Boost Short Power Max" apply ,and then set to default value again.

I also experience crash on suspend. (My SP4 reboots).

I though it was ok seeing some instability on the system since I've lowered the voltage (but a bit strange ,since under load everything works fine).

So I though loading my undervolt profile for normal use and load default before suspend. But still SP4 crashes.

So it seems XTU can't read/set default values properly.

Workaround:

Uninstall XTU. Everything works as expected .

I reinstalled XTU and same stuff again 100% reproducible . Hope an update will fix this.

1 Solution
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BAlle4, I am writing to let you know that your hardware, IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i5-4300U Processor, is not supported by this tool. Please refer to this support web link below for supported IntelĀ® Processors. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU- We also recommend contacting your system manufacturer and ask for other monitoring and optimization tools for your system. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BAlle4, Thank you for posting on this Community. IntelĀ® Extreme Tuning Utility is intended mainly for unlocked/overclockable processors. The behavior your system displays could be caused by the voltage and frequency changes and the profiles you have applied through the tool. However, since you have no issues when your system is under load, we would like to take a look at your system configuration and gather more information. Please run the IntelĀ® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread. 1.Download the IntelĀ® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The IntelĀ® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
BAlle4
Beginner
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BAlle4, To do further research, we would like to have the report requested. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BAlle4, I am writing to let you know that your hardware, IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i5-4300U Processor, is not supported by this tool. Please refer to this support web link below for supported IntelĀ® Processors. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU- We also recommend contacting your system manufacturer and ask for other monitoring and optimization tools for your system. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos