Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Help me understand what's going on with this i7-8750H processor

kristalshards
Beginner

Hey so I bought this gaming laptop ASUS TUF FX504GM a couple of years ago, it has a i7-8750H processor and a GTX 1060 card. I've had different sort of issues with cooling ever since I bought this laptop, either with the CPU, GPU or both. Especially during summers, when it's really hot outside, the temperatures are reaching 84-85 degrees. I understand that these temperatures are normal for a laptop, however I wanna keep them as low as possible just for my own sanity.

Recently I left my laptop at a service to replace the display and I don't know what happened because since then I noticed my temperatures are slightly skewed. Whilst I was getting 72-75 degrees on both the CPU and GPU before, now I'm getting still normal 70-71 degrees for GPU but the CPU is about 10 degrees hotter. So under highly demanding games like Battlefield 1, the CPU gets up to 80-83 degrees. That makes me feel uncomfortable because I always aimed to keep my temperatures under 80 degrees.

After I kept seeing this issue, I tried to do all I could think of - replace thermal paste, undervolt CPU, use a cooler etc. Nothing seemed to work. So I decided to update my BIOS. Biggest mistake I made, as after the update I took off ASUS support forum, now it won't even let me undervolt. I read that Intel disabled undervolting for some reason which is incredibly frustrating for me as I'd rather undervolt than not.

Anyway, undervolting aside (I'd like to know if there's any chance to be able to undervolt my CPU again), I would like to know what exactly is causing these stupid temperatures. I'm using this laptop at work and as I worked with a Google sheet file, opened HWMonitor and noticed max CPU temps reached even 98 degrees lol. Incredible. I use fan setting Overboost which basically makes the fans runs at a higher speed for better cooling but that doesn't seem to do anything.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
GhostTec
Novice

It is normal to have high temps during high demanding tasks like gaming (or rendering, code compiler, etc). The problem is if the cpu is going higher than what it supports (100C)

I dont really see a big issue, just a desire how you would want things to behave... If this didn't happen before, your pc might have triggered a problem after 2 years of use...

if the problem triggered after taking it to the service center, then maybe they did or unconfigured something... check with them... if the issue is not 100% related to them... your system might just be starting to have a problem due to obsolescence hardware or deteriorated component.

You have replaced thermal paste, used additional coolers, updated BIOS... to me this sound like a BIOS settings issue (incorrect settings), BIOS fan-sensor issue or a problem with the cooler system - cooler design.

if vents are not block and laptop is not into a very warm room... you should not need to undervolt a laptop to make it work properly or avoid overheating... you need to discuss this issue with Asus...

0 Kudos
kristalshards
Beginner

Alright but to my knowledge, Intel have disabled the option of undervolting the processor which is usually highly needed in gaming laptops. This is a general opinion, not just mine. So this is a problem.

Another problem I noticed is that when I plug in my laptop, it almost begins to run into Turbo Boost mode. Now I am not very educated on this but I don't see any reason why it should go above 2.2GHz base frequency when my laptop is idling for example. Unless it's something running in the background, but remember this happens even when I just boot my laptop.

When Turbo Boost kicks in, the fans start to run faster. This is what I noticed lately, I tried to update Windows, now it seems the issue is a bit more stable but the temperatures are still hitting 96 degrees for example max, according to HWMonitor.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Have you updated the bios? 

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
kristalshards
Beginner
0 Kudos