Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14538 Discussions

Hey, I have recently bought an XPS 15 7590 and just ran a stress test using intel extreme tuning utilities and I am getting a negative max core frequency of -2.60ghz. Is this normal? I am coming from a mac laptop so I am a little unsure about this.

KMal0
Beginner

Hey, I have recently bought an XPS 15 7590 and just ran a stress test using intel extreme tuning utilities and I am getting a negative max core frequency of -2.60ghz. Is this normal? I am coming from a mac laptop so I am a little unsure about this.

The processor is i7-9750 CPU @ 2.6Ghz 2.59Ghz.

Please see that attached photo. Txps.PNG

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

XTU only supports X and K processors.

Doc

KMal0
Beginner

What can I used for H processors? I was initially trying to under volt my system for better performance.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I do not know.

Doc

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello KMal0,

Thank you for submitting your question on this Intel® Community.

As Al.Hill advised, Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility is intended for unlocked/overclockable processors only:

• Processors with K letter in their name.
  • Intel® Core™ X-series Processors.

Note: Intel® XTU may or may not work on unsupported processors.

Now, there is always a level of risk involved when altering the voltage and frequency of a processor. If the processor is not running within specifications, it may damage the processor and other components and it may also cause system instability.

What we can recommend is that you open the Task Manager > Performance tab > and check the CPU speed.

You may also run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to check the health of the processor.

If the issue persists, you may want to contact your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) to load BIOS default settings and revert any recent changes made.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

KMal0
Beginner

Thanks for the response I have since downloaded Intel Processor Diagonostic tool and it has passed the health check. The base speed seems to be steady at 2.59Ghz. Everything seems fine now.

I was trying to reduce the heat that is why I am trying to under-volt. Could you please recommend me a software perhaps from Intel that will allow me to under-volt a H processor.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello KMal0,

We are glad to know that the procesor is working as expected.

Intel cannot give general guidance as each individual has their own methodology for underclocking, overclocking, etc. As addressed in a previous post, changing the voltage and frequency of a processor may impact how your system works.

The recommendations we can provide you with are the following:

• Go to the Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings > Processor power management and modify these settings as desired.

• Enable Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology in BIOS.

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology is an advanced means of enabling very high performance while also meeting the power-conservation needs of mobile systems.

Your processor supports this technology. However, we recommend that you contact your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) to make sure enabling/disabling this technology is available in BIOS.

Refer to the Product Specifications site > Advanced Technologies for more information

• If your computer reports high temperatures, this is usually caused by the cooling solution your laptop uses. You can obtain more information about the cooling system from the OEM.

• As a suggestion, you may also get a laptop cooling pad. It is worth mentioning that you can ask your OEM for validated cooling pads if applicable.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos