Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14527 Discussions

Hi, I'm currently using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to run a mild overclock on my i9 10290x. The processor also automatically loaded something called "Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0." I leave both running, but my question is, do I need to?

DHopk8
Beginner

Since I'm using the Extreme Tuning Utility to run a custom overclock, does the Turbo Boost Max Technology do anything or can I shut it off and stop it from loading? Just trying to minimize startup / background programs.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

When you overclock the processor, it is going to run hotter. Since Intel Turbo Boost is making use of the processor's thermal headroom to boost performance, it will be less effective in boosting performance when you are overclocking. I am not saying that you should turn the feature off, however.

...S

0 Kudos
DHopk8
Beginner

Hey, thanks for your answer. My temps are fine as I have a sufficient AIO cooler, never above 67C under full load. I guess what I'm trying to figure out, is if the Turbo Boost Max Tech 3.0 program is really doing anything extra, vs if I just run my overclock via the  Extreme Tuning Utility application alone. Is there a way to see what it's actually doing in the real world?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, if you run a benchmark program that fully loads the processor, look at the Core clocks that are being achieved. Are you seeing numbers higher than the base? If you are, then the feature is working and increasing performance.

...S

0 Kudos
DHopk8
Beginner

I’m seeing much higher numbers but that’s due to my OC settings within the extreme utility app. I suppose I’ll just disable the max turbo app and then run a bench!

0 Kudos