Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

Hi, my processor is a i5 8600K and in the last few days i notice that the processor is running locked in 4200 MHz, is that normal?

MSilv87
Beginner

In the last few days my computer started showing lag, even when im just in the desktop, the image freezes for like 1 second and then back to normal, and then repeats a few moments later.

I tried to update the drives from the processor, from the dedicated GPU (AMD RX590) and from the BIOS, all are up to date, i even restored windows (Windows 10) but the problem remained, i changed the power plan to maximum perfomance and nothing happens, the temperature stay between 30C and 70C.

And then i notice that the processor was running locked in 4200 Mhz i set in the processor power management the maximum for 90%, and now its running locked in 3200MHz. I checked and there is no overclocking in the motherboard, so i hope you can help me undertand what is happening, if there is a problem with my processor and i if need a new one.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello MSilv87

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

·       What happened on the system when this behavior started, was there and update or change on the system?

·       Are you running the system on the default BIOS setting? Can you test the system in default BIOS settings with no overclocking?

·       Can you run the Intel® processor diagnostic tool? (see link below)

·       I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have on the computer. Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

·       Steps to save the report:

1-    Run the utility.

2-    Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system.

3-    Once the scan is complete click on “next”.

4-    Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop.

5-    To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Reference link:

Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
MSilv87
Beginner

Hi Leonardo, thanks for the Help.

There was no changes, maybe a windows update, but since this problem started i have restored windows and the problem remained. It seems like a hardware problem.

The BIOS is set to default, with no overclocking.

The results of the processor diagnostic tool is below plus some additional temperature informations about the processor, this snip was taken in normal use, just web browser open and a few more light apps.

0 Kudos
MSilv87
Beginner

processor_temperature.PNGTest_result.PNG

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello MSilv87

Can you test running the system without the AMD RX590 installed to see if the behavior is persistent?

The temperatures that you are reporting are ok for the Intel® Processor.

Please make sure that you have Intel® Turbo boost enable on the system BIOS.   

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello MSilv87

Have you been able to test the steps provided?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello MSilv87

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos