Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Hi, on XTU, when i run stress test, Current limit throttling change to "yes", can anyone explain what that is and how do i prevent it ?

TQuan7
Beginner

0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello TQuan7,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

To answer your questions, processors have two modes of thermal protection, throttling, and automatic shutdown. When a core exceeds the set throttle temperature, it will start to reduce power to bring the temperature back below that point. The throttle temperature can vary by processor and BIOS settings. If the conditions are such that throttling is unable to keep the temperature down, such as a thermal solution failure or incorrect assembly, the CPU will automatically shut down to prevent permanent damage.  

The current throttling limit is similar to the thermal throttling but is measured on a different way and it is based on values given by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) on the maximum current that the processor circuit can support.

I would strongly suggest not to change the processor's default values because, altering clock frequency and/or voltage may reduce system stability and useful life of the system and processor; cause the processor and other system components to fail; cause reductions in system performance; cause additional heat or other damage; and affect system data integrity, and this practice may even void the warranty of the processor.

I hope this helps.

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello TQuan7,

Were you able to check my previous post? 

Was the information enough to answer your inquiry?

Please let me know if you need more assistance or if something is not clear, I'll be more than glad to assist.

David V

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello TQuan7,

Please contact us if you have any additional questions.

David V

0 Kudos