Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

Hi there, I bought Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2GHz but apparently I have a Genuineintel processor which there is no software for ? I'm very confused please send help.

FSant48
Beginner

I bought the Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2GHz. However I'm not able to have any software from Intel since when I use the tool Intel driver support and assistant it says that I don't have any hardware from Intel. If you see system attached to this topic, on my control panel it says I have the right processor , if u look at system 2 , that's what the assistant tool says I have.

Was I scammed ? What can I do ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

The Intel Driver and Support Assistant is for Intel systems. However, it may be useful on other systems (laptops, motherboards).

Scammed? No, just misinformed. There is software associated with your processor. Look under downloads and software here:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97129/intel-core-i7-7700k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html

Now, do you have an add on graphics card (amd, nvidia)? If so, it likely disabled your processor graphics, thus NO INTEL GRAPHICS will be found.

And, there is a list of exclusions:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000032252/software/software-applications.html

So, what to do? Your motherboard manufacturer has, I am sure, plenty of downloads for your board. They may even have an update tool like IDSA.

Give them call.

Also, you have 4 cores and 8 threads. Turn them on. And, update your motherboard bios.

Doc

0 Kudos
FSant48
Beginner

Hi Al,

Thank you for your help!

I am very new to all of this , I googled how to turn on cores but apparently It only gives me the option to set it at 2 ?

I also went to Gygabite website but there doesn't seem to have much to update, their IDSA tool isn't working properly I do feel like this computer is very slow compared to my laptop which is no where near this one!

Should I just reset everything ? I'm clearly not getting the full potential of the computer on my Driver booster it says I have all the latest drivers available for my it.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Before messing with MSCONFIG, I would update the bios. I would also uncheck the box in "number of processors". If you still have issues, set it to 4.

Now, some users like to point all of their misunderstanding at the processor. "It cannot possibly be my motherboard, or memory, or video card - it has to be the Intel processor." Perhaps they do this because it is easy to blame Intel and easy to contact Intel. Of course, getting Gigabyte or HP or Lenovo or Dell to respond is extremely difficult, so pointing at Intel is the way. To avoid this, download and run the IPDT after you update the bios:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005567/processors.html

Remember, it is Gigabyte's bios, and their responsibility.

Then, all of your issues can be handled by Gigabyte.

And, was I correct about you having an add-on graphics card?

Doc

0 Kudos