Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14510 Discussions

High CPU Frequency while idling but Low CPU Frequency when I start a game

helpmewithicores
Beginner

My laptop which has an i7-8550u CPU paired with a GTX 1050(Mobile) 4Vram and 8GB DDR4 RAM, is struggling in specific cpu intensive games for e.g Minecraft, Alto's, etc. When I check the task manager and MSI Afterburner Rivatuner, it shows that my CPU (Which has a base frequency of 1.8 GHZ) is running on 1.6 GHZ when I run a game. The weird thing is, that it turbo boosts when its on idle to 4 GHZ but the moment I start a game like Minecraft for e.g it instantly goes back to 1.6 GHZ, making performance in some games pretty much unplayable. I've checked the temps, and they don't seem to be an issue as they are running between 63 - 65 C° which is nowhere near thermal throttling. In power settings its set to High Performance, and my adapter is hooked up to a wall. On MSI Afterburner under LIM1: there are no warnings regarding power throttling, so what could it be? I've tried a lot of solutions from reinstalling Windows, to changing power modes, updating BIOS, checking BIOS, which btw has no setting stating Intel steepstep nor turbo boost. I have no idea why is it doing that, but its very annoying, as in games that are CPU intensive, Minecraft for e.g runs at about 30 FPS on lowest ever settings, which is horrible. Apparently when the CPU Power is under 15W it runs on 1.6 GHz but when  it passes 15W it starts to boost, and it should always run on 15W based on the specs of that CPU.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello helpmewithicores,

Thank you so much for response.

I consider that the behavior that you are experiencing is related with customizations performed by the laptop manufacturer in an attempt to optimize the power and performance of the processor.

As you know all Intel Processors come with a specific Base Frequency and a specific TDP.

Configurable TDP option allows the computer manufacturer to modify the Base Frequency and TDP of the CPU within the specific values posted on the Technical Specifications of your processor.

Depending on the design of the chassis/cooler, the computer manufacturer may increase or decrease the base Frequency and TDP.

After executing the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool we can see that the processor passes all the tests performed. Therefore, we can determine that a non-intel factor is causing this behavior.

Please check with your computer manufacturer of any further recommendation/settings in order to avoid this.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello helpmewithicores,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

To better assist you please provide the following information:

• Please provide your laptop model.
  • What is your operating system version?
  • Was your computer working fine at a certain point? If so, were any changes made prior to this behavior?            
  • Have you perform any changes in BIOS?

I would if you could confirm the following, I understand that is the Turbo Boost feature enables when the computer is on idle, working at a frequency of 4.00Ghz.Howeveer, as soon as you start the game the processor will work at 1.6Ghz, is that correct?

I would appreciate if you could run and attach the results of the following software: Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool.

This tool will verify the functionality of the processor performing different tests, if the result is “Passed” it would indicate that the processor is working fine and we might need to take other components into consideration

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
helpmewithicores
Beginner

Laptop Model: Lenovo Ideapad 330-15IKB

Operating  system: Windows 10 ver 10.0.19041 Build 19041

No changes to the  BIOS were made, and to further prove, I have resetted it/run to default settings/factory settings. 

Correct, I cannot even play cpu-intensive games  because the processor is clocked at 1.6 GHz and will not turbo boost nor even reach the base frequency. its just stuck 1.6 GHz once I started a game etc,

The diagnostic tool states that the frequency test passed "Expected Frequency -- 1.80
..Measured frequency -- 1.99031.." But its weird when I test it in games for e.g Minecraft (CPU intensive game) it doesnt exceed 30 FPS lowest settings and when I check the task manager it says 1.6 or 1.7 GHz and the moment I close down the game, the CPU clocks back to 3.4 GHz. The only time it turbo boosted in Minecraft I got 120 FPS avg and the power consumption was 15.6 W, but then it suddenly dropped to 8 watts and then dropped back to 1.6 GHz making the game unplayable again, thats not to mention my power plan is set to Ultimate performance.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello helpmewithicores,

Thank you for your response.

As you may know, the Turbo Boost Technology is a feature that will automatically run the processor core faster than the base frequency. However, for this to be possible the processor must be working under certain conditions: working in the appropriate power, temperature, and specification limits of the thermal design power (TDP).

Therefore, if the workload/application is not demanding, then the processor might not reach the Turbo max frequency.

As this is a laptop, we need to consider the design of the compute/customizations performed by the manufacturer and make sure that it will meet all the requirements.

The tips that I can provide to you are the following:

•  Make sure that your BIOS is up to date.
  •  Ensure that the Turbo option (if available) is on in the BIOS. However, in your case it seems that is enabled by default. You can check with your laptop manufacturer just to confirm.
  • And most important, make sure that the processor thermal cooling is appropriate for the system.

I consider that a power setting in BIOS, or even the OS could help to improve the system performance. Based on the IPDT results, we can see that the processor is working as expected. I would recommend checking with your computer manufacturer for recommended BIOS settings or even check for any similar behavior reported.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
helpmewithicores
Beginner

The processor max operating frequency is 100C° mine is running at around 65° Max which is nowhere near thermal throttling, I even have the laptop put under a cooling pad. Its hooked up to the charger and Ultimate Performance is chosen under power options. The weird thing is that when I set it to Power Savings it breaks the 1.6 GHz and becomes 2 Ghz then drops back to 1.6 GHz. I also found out that when I unplug the charger it will operate at 2.4 Ghz under power saving, which is not even logical. 

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello helpmewithicores,

Thank you so much for response.

I consider that the behavior that you are experiencing is related with customizations performed by the laptop manufacturer in an attempt to optimize the power and performance of the processor.

As you know all Intel Processors come with a specific Base Frequency and a specific TDP.

Configurable TDP option allows the computer manufacturer to modify the Base Frequency and TDP of the CPU within the specific values posted on the Technical Specifications of your processor.

Depending on the design of the chassis/cooler, the computer manufacturer may increase or decrease the base Frequency and TDP.

After executing the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool we can see that the processor passes all the tests performed. Therefore, we can determine that a non-intel factor is causing this behavior.

Please check with your computer manufacturer of any further recommendation/settings in order to avoid this.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos