Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

High Clocks at idle

Timlab55
Beginner

As you can see from the screenshot, my clocks are high but my utilization is very low.  This shouldn't be.  So how can this be corrected?

Thank You

P.S.  The processor that I have is the i9-11900Kcpu for asus.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

First, check your power plans in windows...

I have seen this behavior before and when using "powerful CPUs" sometimes the default plan chosen by Windows is "Best performance" and CPUs keep running at high clock speed even when doing nothing... once we change to "balance or power saver" the CPU starts to dynamically adjust clock speed depending on the tasks you run... (you can select 'best performance' when you know you're going to a long gaming session (just to mention one example) and then go back to balance...)

Also, check your BIOS, it may have an option for 'Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology' (they may have given it a different name, which is actually a common practice)... if it does and is disabled, try to enable it, it helps to adjust voltage/clock speed (and save power).

Note: You may also have an option saying something like Core Performance Boost, OC Mode, and so on that could be enabled by default causing the CPU to run at max clock speed...

0 Kudos
Timlab55
Beginner

I guess I should have mentioned the type of mobo I have in this post and I'm sorry.  The type of board I have that my i9-11900k is sitting on is a Z590-E gaming board.  Okay, I have gone into windows and checked to make sure it's on balance.  The screenshot was taken when it was on balance and not doing anything except running HWmmonitor.   As for the BIOS, I don't really like going into there, but to turn on XMPI, but that is for the memory as it might also have a very little impact on the clocks.  

So that you know the type of board and stuff, if I go into the BIOS, I've seen the SpeedStep, but there are several of them.  And if there isn't or is, what do I change?  

Thanks

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Timlab55, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, since HWmmonitor is a third-party tool, the results shown might not be that accurate. In order to rule out a possible hardware problem with the processor, please install and run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, it does an overall test on the unit and if it passes the test it means the unit is working properly.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html?wapkw=intel%20processor%20diagnostic%20tool

It is important to mention that we always recommend to use the processor at stock configurations with the default BIOS settings. Everything related to the BIOS updates, settings, and features is supported by the manufacturer of the board. So, in order to make sure the BIOS settings are set to defaults, to verify that the latest BIOS version is currently installed, and to gather the information that you are looking for about the BIOS, please get in contact directly with ASUS support so they can further assist you on this matter:

https://www.asus.com/support/

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Timlab55, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Timlab55, Since we have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos