Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

High temp low usage

JazzN7
New Contributor I
Got an i9-11900k, these screenshots are from COD. I think this is a trend that my setup has though. My cpu usage always seems low and the temps are very high.
0 Kudos
19 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Where are these high temperatures you are referring to? A high temperature is in the 90's (Celsius); temperatures in the 60's are just fine. Besides, you have a roughly 50% load on the system when you are measuring these temperatures, so that makes them better than fine!

...S

JazzN7
New Contributor I

Sorry, I was using it more as an example. If I run other games, I have been in the 90s and the usage is around 60 or so. What I'm trying to ask about is; Isn't the temperature too high for the usage? As the photo shows, I'm at 67 with only 44% usage. Shouldn't I have much higher usage? 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

With all cores running at that usage level? No, Intel will tell you that this is perfectly normal.

...S

JazzN7
New Contributor I

So the CPU will never get into 70% usage or higher?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

LOL! No! Why in the world would you ever think that? 

...S

0 Kudos
JazzN7
New Contributor I
My own inexperience, figured since GPUs can get to 100 or close too, CPUs could do the same. So this chip maxes out at around 60% usage then? Got a 1600psu and a 420mm aio
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, if you have a game (for example) that is bounded by what's happening on the GPU side, then yea, it's possible that you will never see 100% utilization on the CPU side. This has nothing to do with temperature, however; it is simply that the game is not doing any significant CPU operations while it is waiting for the GPU to finish whatever it is doing. This happens all the time with games, especially those that are dealing with larger and larger screen sizes.

...S

0 Kudos
JazzN7
New Contributor I

Im completely CPU bound, its why Im trying to see why I cant get the usage higher.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In games? I highly doubt you are CPU bounded.

0 Kudos
JazzN7
New Contributor I

Just using one game as an exampleOne game as an exampleOne game as an example

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This doesn't prove anything. You need to simultaneously run something that graphs processor utilization at the same time (Task Manager can do this but isn't the greatest. Try installing something like AIDA64 (pay app but can install for evaluation) and run its benchmark.

If there is still a question, I suggest that you run something like ThrottleStop to see if you are being throttled for any reason.

...S

0 Kudos
JazzN7
New Contributor I

XTU2 shows thermal throttling. I ran Cine bench, but I have to find a similar setup. I'm not trying to prove anything just want to make sure I'm getting as much juice as possible from this CPU. I'm thinking, I may have to redo the thermal paste.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Download and run AIDA64.

...S

0 Kudos
JazzN7
New Contributor I

I have it downloaded but it seems it's just a monitoring tool unless I purchase the extreme version. I did change out the thermal paste and noticed the AIO bracket is pressed against the MOBO's heat sink. This may not be a factor, but I plan on sanding the side a little to better clear it. I don't need the end bracket that is currently resting there, as it is for the AMD offset screws. From what I can find its just the 6900XT is too strong for the 11900k at 1080p.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Under Tools you are not seeing a System Stability Test selection?

0 Kudos
JazzN7
New Contributor I

There is no tools option. I downloaded the version through the Microsoft store. It keeps trying to get me to buy the Extreme version which has a stress test etc.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Uninstall that version and download AIDA64 Extreme from https://www.aida64.com/downloads. You can use it on a trial basis for 30 days - and it does have support for the System Stability Test, Monitor Diagnostics and CPU, Memory, Disk Benchmark features.

...S 

JazzN7
New Contributor I

Ok, so I ran system stability. It says thermal throttle, but outside that what should I be looking for?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So, you've proven thermal Throttling is occurring two different ways. My next step would be to,

1. Verify that the cooling solution is indeed capable of providing sufficient cooling.
  2. Verify (through reapplication) that the cooling solution is properly affixed to the processor.
  3. Verify that the fan speed control algorithms (typically configured through BIOS Setup) are providing sufficient airflow (or liquid flow) to achieve the needed cooling level based upon temperatures. I would be configuring so that the fan speeds are at 100% duty cycle when processor temperatures are above, say, 90°C.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos