Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

High temperatures i7 4770k, 100 degrees

JKolb4
Beginner

Processor with standard operation (3.9 GHZ). He warms up very much. The temperature reaches up to 80 even 100 degrees. Made of scalp and lapping. The applied paste in various ways. Cooling is Shadow Rock 2. I think the temperature sensor is broken. Before the scalp and lapping, it was the same. Unfortunately, I have already lost the guarantee to do scalping. The processor voltage is 1.110V. The Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97 motherboard. Silverstone SST-ST60F power supply. Can you disable the sensor somehow? A program?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JKolb4
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Each of the processor's cores has its own Digital Thermal Sensor (DTS) that measures the temperature at the Core's hottest location (hotspot). These DTS are calibrated and used to determine if/when the processor's Maximum Junction temperature (Tjmax) has been reached and enable protection (throttling) to address it at that point. The readings of the DTS are used to determine a combined package temperature and published both internally (for MSR access) and externally (via the PECI bus) for use by standalone fan speed control devices (including Super I/O ICs). None of these DTS can be disabled. Since it is incredibly rare for one of these DTS to fail, it is extremely unlikely that what you are seeing is the result of such a failure. I would thus presume that your cooling solution is inadequate.

...S

0 Kudos
JKolb4
Beginner

I'm sure that the cooling is well mounted. The cooling that I bought has a value of 160 TDP and the processor much less. I tried to apply thermoconductive paste in all possible ways, rotate the heatsink ... I have no ideas anymore

0 Kudos
JKolb4
Beginner

I also noticed one problem. The TMPin2 temperature coincides with the core temperature. TmPin2 is the north bridge? or maybe the power section?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You will need to contact the motherboard manufacturer to find out how they have the various sensors connected to the SIO chip.

...S

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello JKolb4,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities.

Since n.scott.pearson has answered your questions on the first post with accurate and helpful information I will continue assisting you with the thermal inquiries on the last two posts.

Please provide the following information:

1. Which application/tool are you using to monitor the thermal status of the processor?
  2. From where are you getting the TmPin2 information? Is it from the same tool?
  3. Have you ever used the processor out of its specifications?
  4. Have you tried loading the BIOS default settings?
  5. Also, I noticed that you have the F7 BIOS version installed. Have you checked with the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) if the BIOS update to the F8 version could help to solve the temperatures issues?
  6. I would like to know if you have made any change to the RAM frequencies and/or voltage?

The reason for this last question is because I was checking the SSU (Intel® System Support Utility) report, and I was able to check that your system seems to be running your RAM at 1333 MHz. But looking for the RAM specifications with the part number GY1866D364L10/8G, I was able to see that this RAM is supposed to run at 1866 MHz, the information was found on the following link, under the Technical Data tab: https://www.goodram.com/en/products/dram-play-ddr3-dimm-2/. And I was not able to see any feature that would allow this RAM under its specifications.

1. After running the test, please go to the "file" tab. 
  2. Click on "View results file". 
  3. Save it as a text document and attach it to the next post.

Best Regards,

Abigail G

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation.

0 Kudos
JKolb4
Beginner

The cooling I bought is called Shadow Rock 2. The original cooling is even worse. The programs that I use to check the processor are (HwMonitor, OCCT, Everest, Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, SpeedFan). Each program gives the same results with a tolerance of - / + 5 degrees Celsius. Bios has default settings. I updated the bios to F8. I did not change the memory voltages. I did not change the memory frequency. The processor gets high temperatures without overclocking. Without reading the terms of the guarantee, I made a paste replacement for IHS and polished IHS. Problems began before my work with the processor. I check the motherboard with a laser meter but nowhere does the temperature exceed 50 degrees. I changed the paste under the cooling of the sternum. I replaced the thermocouples under the power section. I check the temperature on other memory frequencies.

0 Kudos
JKolb4
Beginner

Unfortunately, the computer does not start at 1866 Mhz. It started at 1600 Mhz. The memory voltage is 1.5 V.

0 Kudos
JKolb4
Beginner

After 10 minutes, the temperature fluctuates from 85-95 degrees. The radiator is cold. The laser meter shows 45 degrees at the base of the processor and also on the back of the processor.

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello JKolb4,

Regarding the RAM frequency, the processor only supports DDR3-1333/1600 that is probably the reason why did not start running at 1866 Mhz. But I just wanted to make sure that you have the RAM working with frequencies supported by the CPU, so it won't affect the CPU performance and temperatures.

Even though you have altered the processor specifications and its format, the processor is running under the temperatures specifications according to the report that you have provided, which showed that the maximum temperature reached by the processor was 91°C.

Besides this, since you have changed the processor design and its architecture, we can not guarantee that the processor will work under expected performance/behavior after this change, so our recommendations are limited to what has been mentioned during this thread, make sure that the cooling solution is appropriated for your processor and is properly set up, check BIOS settings and load defaults to make sure that the processor is not running out of specifications, BIOS updates checkings and isolate the components to make sure that any of them is causing high temperatures.

Best Regards,

Abigail G

0 Kudos
JKolb4
Beginner

I bought a h100i Corsair. Under the load according to OCCT, the temperature reaches 100 degrees and then a restart occurs. Processor damaged .... Unfortunately, this is my first Intel processor and it will also be the last one. Goodbye

0 Kudos
JKolb4
Beginner

Interestingly, the temperature of the graphics processor integrated in stress is 45 degrees. The graphics processor is in the processor so the sensors are damaged

0 Kudos
SLv00
Beginner

i74770k本来就属于一个经过超频的CPU,超频会导致功耗变大,发热大是很正常的事情

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello JKolb4,

Because third-party applications reports can sometimes show erroneous data, we work based on the reports given by the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to make sure about the temperatures and performance.

Regarding the issue with the processor reaching 100°C and restarting, besides the temperatures of the integrated graphics, we would like to confirm that we can not guarantee the processor performance after altering the processor design and its architecture.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

0 Kudos