Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

High temps on water-cooled i7 5820k

FOliv7
Beginner

I've had my 5820k for a year now and I've always felt it ran too hot.

With C-states enabled it clocks down to about 1.5GHz and 0.75V at idle and the temps never go below 35ºC.

While running Prime95, it goes up to about 75ºC on stock settings, and overclocked to 4.2GHz at 1.25V it goes past 100ºC.

I've tried air coolers and I got the same results, never dipping below 35+ºC at idle and passing 95ºC under load without overclocking.

I'ts being cooled by a Fractal Desing Kelvin S36. That's an AIO water cooler with a 360mm radiator and a powerful pump that can handle even 4 GPU blocks and a couple more 360mm radiators.

I've run the Processor Diagnostic Tool and it passed all the tests.

Is there something I can do? Is this normal or did the silicon lottery give me the processor with the worst thermals?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Frinalal,

Your processor is running under the expected temperature. 35 Celsius degrees in idle is excellent. Now, if you are overclocking or running stress tests the processor temperature will increase. The base frequency of the i7-5820K is 3.3 GHz.

The processor has 6 Cores and it supports up to 64GB of ram at 2133MHz.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
FOliv7
Beginner

Well, I understand that 35ºC in idle is normal, but that's with the processor underclocked, undervolted and all the fans at 100%. At default settings I'm getting 45 to 55ºC.

With my current cooling system, I would expect near ambient temperatures, but that's 20º+ above ambient.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Frinalal,

Well sir, it is an extreme processor, the maximum consumption is 140W, the temperature will be always between 25 and 40 Celsius degrees in idle mode using memories at 2133MHz and default settings.

Intel provides with 3 years of warranty; if processor is not giving to you the proper performance, I suggest you to replace it, maybe your processor is faulty.

Contact Support

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

Mike C
0 Kudos
poldslae3
Beginner

I am finding that out with the OED application, sadly I do now not have all the records Fryba had and so cannot match his effects, and the begin time may be very tricky - as a coding hassle changing dt is more difficult than the original trouble. It takes a short OED software and turns it nto pages of hard to comply with code.

0 Kudos