Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

How can I find out if my processor cores will really give me performance boost?

Residentx
New Contributor III

With HP G5, HP started putting 6 core processors into their Zbook Mobile Workstations. 

But I could swear that my applications ran faster with G4 4 core processors. 

Is there a tool or location where I can see what apps run best with 4 or 6 core configurations?

My lease term is up in September and I needs to decide whether to stay on HP or move to something else. They have the best everything graphics cards but the processor I need to talk about Intel about. 

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Residentx,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

I would like to share with you the following information:

1. Intel does not have a tool to track which apps/tools run better with 4 or 6 cores.

2. To monitor the behavior of the CPU, you can use the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU). However, this tool is for "K" and "X" processors and may not work properly with the other processors.

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html

3. Bear in mind that not all the cores are going to reach the max frequency, this will depend on the operating system and any limitation placed by the laptop manufacturer.

Also, since you are using a laptop I recommend you to check with the manufacturer (HP in this case) for any apps/tools validated by them to monitor or scan your system and also for any possible limitation that they may place in the laptop that can affect the Turbo boost technology.

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos