Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

How can I get my i7-8700 to operate at 4.6Ghz instead of 3.2Ghz.

JHabb1
Beginner

I have an i7-8700 proceccor, not the 8700k so I can't overclock it, but it should be able to turbo to 4.6Ghz. How do I make it do this? And how can I check that it actually operates at 4.6Ghz and not any lower.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

it will boost to 4.6ghz as needed by the application and operating system.

Doc

0 Kudos
JHabb1
Beginner

Ok, but I have this application called HWMonitor where I can see fans and clock speeds etc. and in the clock speed section every core has a Value, Minimum and Max. The max says 3694Mhz. corespeed.PNG

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Check out this article, which discusses tools you can use: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005607/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.html.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Whether, at any one point in time, the ability to boost the clocks of one, two or more cores is dependent upon a number of factors. Most important is thermal headroom: If the processor is running hot, it isn't going to be able to do much boosting. Another is processor busy level. If most or all of the cores are being kept busy, the ability to boost and the magnitude of the boost available will be retarded. There are other factors as well. To investigate how this works, start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo_Boost.

Hope this help,

...S

0 Kudos
FCamp14
Beginner

Intel® Processor Identification Utility gives me the data:

Expected processor frequency: 3.20 GHz

Reported processor frequency: 4.30 GHz

So, if I understand correctly, in normal situations the speed is 3.20, if a program, I have a game, requires it, it can go to 4.30, I understood correctly? Can the speed at 4.30am be reached for a long period of time, even two or three hours or only for a short time?

I have the same processor as those who opened this discussion.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

As has been stated (in so many discussions on this forum), whether turbo boost can occur is dependent upon a great many factors, including temperature, power, processor loading (including graphics), etc. Because of how O/Ss typically implement clock management, boosting will occur in short bursts, not for great sustained periods - but these bursts may repeat at high enough rates that it might make you think it is being sustained. Results will vary from one user to another, so having the same processor means nothing in the general scheme of things.

Hope this helps,

...S

FCamp14
Beginner

So if a game for example requires 3.70Ghz, with these turbo boost peaks the processor should hold it. I guess right?

Beyond that the bulk of the work I think the graphics card does.

Thanks for your support and availability

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If the maximum non-turbo frequency of the processor is 3.2 GHz, then that is the number that you should apply against the game's requirements. There is no way to guarantee that the aggregate speed maintained is going to be (using your example) at or above 3.7 GHz. There are simply too many factors that can come into play regarding what level of turbo boost can be maintained.

...S

0 Kudos