Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

How can I set up a 95W TDP limit for my CPU in the BIOS?

IKoll2
Beginner

Hi!

I want to set up a 95W TDP limit for my CPU in the BIOS (it gets too hot with my current cooler if i turn the turbo boost on, 90C under the "Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool", if i turn it off it just 48-49C but that leaves me with the base clock of 3.6 Ghz), the same one they used in this article:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1744-core-i9-9900k-round-two/

The article says the following: "Next up we have the Blender short run test and here the 95-watt TDP limited configuration can only burst up to 120 watts for 10 seconds. In other words, for about half the test it’s almost fully unleashed, and we were only seeing a 9% reduction in performance."

So that means:

PL1 =95W (That is the official TDP), Tau: 10s, PL2=120W right?

But I also found this article:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13544/why-intel-processors-draw-more-power-than-expected-tdp-turbo

It says:

Intel Spec, 95W:

PL1: 95W

Tau: 8s

PL2: 118W

They used an i7 8700K for this one.

Which one should I use?

Apparently there is also a PL3 and PL4, should I leave those on auto?

My config:

CPU: i9 9900K

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming

RAM: Patriot Viper 4 3400 Mhz

GPU: Asus RTX 2080 Ti Dual OC

SSD: Samsung Evo 970 M.2

PSU: Corsair AX850

I attached the spec from the anandtech article, and also the 95W vs unlocked temps from the techspot article, the termals seems promising while the performance loss is very minimal in gaming which is what I mainly use this PC for, so until I get a better cooler this seems like a good option.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Diego_S_Intel
Employee
Hello IKoll2 Thank you for contacting our Intel® communities. I understand that you are facing issues and questions changing the TDP limit in your BIOS for your Intel® Core™ i9-9900K In this case Computer Manufacturers add limitations to their BIOS versions which will either stop pr prevent the system from making changes. Since in this case you BIOS is unknown to us in terms of options and design, the best approach in order to make these changes will be to contact your system manufacturer as they can provide you guidance on the values that they allow you to set. I hope this helps. Diego S. Intel (R) Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos
IKoll2
Beginner

Hi,

I already solved it, I write the soultion here just in case someone else has the same problem: I used the PL1=95W, Tau: 10s, PL2=120W they used in the techspot article I linked. With my Asus BIOS PL1 is called "Package Power TIme Window", Tau is called "Long Duration Package Power Limit" and PL2 is called "Short Duration Package Power Limit". Temps are between 70-75C in CPU heavy titles like Battlefield V, while turbo boost is working as intended.

0 Kudos
SLitw
Beginner

SHORT DURATION POWER LIMIT : 155, LONG DURATION POWER LIMIT: 155 Package Power Time Window on 155 too? Or left auto? I also updated bios . But it not helped at all.

I have normal cinebench scores etc cpuz,3dmarks. But on 720P res i get the same fps like on 1080p

0 Kudos
Diego_S_Intel
Employee
Hello SLitw, Thank you for contacting our Intel® communities. In this case as shared before OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers) add limitations to their BIOS versions which will either stop or prevent the system from making changes. the best approach in order to make these changes will be to contact your system manufacturer as they can provide you guidance on the values that they allow you to set. I hope this helps. Diego S. Intel (R) Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos