Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

How can i get rid of my framedrops/stutter lags. How can i disable Turbo boost in BIOS, it wont let me change anything. Will disabling SpeedStep and Speed Shift do anything?

JFalc3
Beginner

Hey! i got a i7-7820x and i got mega stutters in all games. frame drops so often and its annoying me. I have seen other forums, people saying you have to disable Turbo boost 3.0 in BIOS, but i cant disable it in BIOS for some reason.  Other people said disabling SpeedStep and Speed Shift helped for them. I know that there is a problem with this CPU. What can i do to fix this stutters/frame drops?

I'll attach my SSU.

please help me, in CSGO i get 50% fps drop all the time

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JFalc3
Beginner

Here is an video from CSGO showing my FPS drops when i turn around, this happens 24/7 and is super annoying.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello JFalc3, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

To better assist you I would like to gather some additional from you:

• Was the game running properly at a certain point?
  • What is the CPU usage while running the game?
  • Is any other heavy workload program running in the background while gaming?
  • Have you checked with the game developer to make sure that there are no patches or updates available?

Please run the following tool IPDT to check the processor functionality, you can find the software in the following link.

After checking the SSU we noticed that you are currently using an NVIDIA* graphics card.

If the tool indicates that the processor passes all tests you might need to contact the GPU manufacturer in order to get optimal configuration for the unit and the motherboard manufacturer for instructions on how to disable the Turbo Boost switch in BIOS.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
JFalc3
Beginner
  • This game ran properly on my other PC.
  • The CPU usage is about 20-40% while running the game (but, as you can see in the video i attached called "stutterlags". when i look around i lose instantly 50% fps or more, AND this is in spawn without nearby enemies or nades, in other scenarios the FPS goes often under 100fps...
  • No other heavy workload programs are running while i play games, i never ever run anything else then Spotify or Teamspeak3 when i play. (and i have disabled hardware acceleration in all programs, like Discord and Spotify).
  • I run all games on newest Patches/Updates, always. i got high priority in that department.

I am running the IPDT.

Result:

--- IPDT64 - Revision: 4.1.4.36

--- IPDT64 - Start Time: 30.03.2020 22:39:31

----------------------------------------------

-- Testing

CPU 1 - Genuine Intel - Pass.

CPU 1 - BrandString - Pass.

CPU 1 - Cache - Pass.

CPU 1 - MMXSSE - Pass.

CPU 1 - IMC - Pass.

CPU 1 - Prime Number - Pass.

CPU 1 - Floating Point - Pass.

CPU 1 - Math - Pass.

CPU 1 - GPUStressW - Pass.

CPU 1 - CPULoad - Pass.

CPU 1 - CPUFreq - Pass.

IPDT64 Passed

--- IPDT64 - Revision: 4.1.4.36

--- IPDT64 - End Time: 30.03.2020 22:43:24

PASS

When it comes to my GPU, it is almost brand new. This PC was on "Komplett Service" In Norway and got a brand new GPU (2080 Super) and brand new Watercooling for the CPU. Notice i play CSGO on low videosettings, and the gpu task load is about 20-45%. Even my older PC with 780 GTX ran CSGO with 300-400 fps and no drops like i am having now. And at that point i had a stock i7-4770k. I cant understand why these drops occur and its is frustraiting me so much.

I am playing on a 240hz 1MS monitor from Asus, and when the FPS goes under 240, its so noticeable. Also these fps drops happens 24/7 non stop. I've seen on your forums there are other with i7-7820x that have these fps drops when aiming 180 and 360. In my "stutterlags" video i did fps_max 999 in console, usually i try to cap my fps at 300. But, it doesnt even reach 300. its always under 240 and when near enemies 100-200, So again! Is this a CPU programming error? ive seen other people talking about the Intel Turbo Boost being "broken" on this specific CPU. and for others SpeedStep and Speed Shift was a problem. I have been trying so many things and nothing works.

I got a X299 Tomahawk Motherboard (intel/msi?)

Are there anything i can change in BIOS to fix this problem? Or do i actually have to spend a ton of money on a new motherboard and CPU??

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

We will review the report attached to update this thread as soon as possible 

Please attach the full IPDT report by following the steps below:

1.    Once the scan is complete in the top-left corner of the window click “File”

2.    Then click “View full Historical Results”

3.    Attach the report.

Keep in mind that Intel Speedstep® Technology allows the system to dynamically adjust the processor voltage and core frequency, in case you would like to disable the feature from the BIOS you would need to check with the motherboard manufacturer as this will vary from board to board.

Also, this will apply for the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology feature.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician 

0 Kudos
JFalc3
Beginner

Here is the IPDT

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Thank you for the information provided.

We will do further research and update this thread as soon as possible. 

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello JFalc3,

We would like to provide an update.

The issue you are experiencing can be caused by the version of the DirectX in the computer and game compatibility.

First, I would like to inform you that after checking the SSU report and checking the graphics card specifications. The system works with DirectX 12.

After reviewing the game requirements, we can see that it was developed using DirectX 9. This software should be backward compatible but it may encounter this kind of performance issue.

Please check the following link with some steps that you can try. The steps should work because of the operating system installed.

If the issue persists, you might try disabling the Turbo Boost feature in BIOS and disabling the SpeedStep however, it would be recommended to check the motherboard manufacturer to do so.  

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let me know if you need more assistance

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.  

Esteban D. 

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos