Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14526 Discussions

How control Xeon E7-4809 v4's voltage ?

ywb
Beginner

CPU: Xeon E7-4809 v4.

I want do Dynamic Voltage Scaling. But I donnot know how to control the voltage. Even I cannot get the real time voltage of each core. 

Or, please tell me where can I get the information.

Please help me, thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello ywb,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To continue with your request please provide an answer to the following questions:

1-Are you requesting this information on behalf of a company? If yes, please provide as many details as possible about the company that you work for.

2-Can you please let us know why you need this information? Is it for some sort of a project or for something else? Please provide as many details as possible.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
ywb
Beginner

Hello Victor G,

Thanks for your reply.

1. I'm a student in University, I want to do some experiments on Voltage Scaling in the laboratory server.

2. The data center consumes a lot of energy, and cpu dynamic power ∝ C * (v ^ 2) * f. And in some paper, they think v ∝ f. So I want to get the detail relationship between v(core voltage) and f(cpu frequency). I want to control voltage to find the variation of frequency. I want control voltage and frequency, to save energy( In order to study the energy-saving method of multi-core processor, I need do some experiments).

In short, I want to do experiments in the laboratory server to study the energy-saving methods of multi-core processors. 

Thank you.

And more, I have some question about Xeon E7-4809 v4:

1. Does this CPU dynamically scale its voltage along with frequency, running just over the minimum voltage? ( If true, then maybe I don't need to control the core voltage.)

2. Does this cpu power ∝ (frequency ^ 3), approximately? Or is there a more precise relationship?

3. How I can monitor this CPU's real-time voltage?

Waiting for your reply, Thanks.

Good wishes.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello ywb,

Thank you for your response.

Please let me review this information internally, and kindly wait for an update.

Once we have more information to share, we will post it on this thread.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello ywb,

Thank you so much for contacting Intel customer support,

Unfortunately, this information is not available publicly. We can only share information that is publicly available on our public Intel website.

For this type of questions, we recommend customers to post their inquiries to one of the Intel software community forums for possible peer-to-peer support:

To browse all forums, you can use the link below:

https://forums.intel.com/s/?language=en_US

Some specific forums that may be helpful can be found below:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Software-Archive/Dynamic-voltage-frequency-scaling/td-p/885489

https://community.intel.com/t5/Software-Tuning-Performance/Dynamic-Voltage-Scaling-in-Haswell-Intel-processors/td-p/978281

Note: Since no more information is available on our end, please be aware that this thread will no longer be monitored. However, you are always welcome to create a new thread in case you need our help with something else.

Best regards,

Victor G.