Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

How do I identify an Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 to check it is genuine?

JTill
Beginner

I bought a Core 2 Duo T7600 from an ebay seller based in China because it is near impossible to source it from anywhere else and it was appropriately priced. I installed the processor and it identified as an Intel Core 2 Duo T5200 in CPU-Z, HW Monitor, Intel Processor Identification Utility, System Properties, System Information and the BIOS menu. I have used different versions of the BIOS as well.

It would appear that it's a Core 2 Duo T5200 that has been relabeled as a T7600. The character spacing, alignment and print style of the text on the front of the CPU is slightly different compared to images of the T7600 online and T2080 it was meant to be replacing.

I would like to know how to identify this CPU's FPO and serial number and if possible check it against Intel's database to hopefully flag up that it is definitively a counterfeit product.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

If all of those utilities identified it as a T5200, I would tend to agree with you and return it.

However, you cannot have (hopefully) paid much for this 2007 processor, so does it really matter that much?

Spend your time and money on a new(er) supported device.

Doc

0 Kudos
JTill
Beginner

It was a low value item which is why I took a risk on it. I have newer devices for regular use but I wanted to bring an elderly device back into use which with a couple of upgrades should be perfectly suitable for what I have in mind for it.

I really came here to get further evidence to add to my case that this is a counterfeit item. There is a fraud team at eBay who scan through refund/return cases so I want to compile the strongest case of evidence I can because these sellers are also selling high value items particularly Xeons. Obviously my one case means nothing but if it helps complete a larger puzzle of similar cases then it will be worth it. I knew the risk and got the reality on a low value item but there are others who will get caught on these higher value items.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yep, if the CPUID data (especially the brand string) is saying T5200, the printing on the package was likely altered to say T7600. I would return it.

...S

0 Kudos
JTill
Beginner

This is what I am getting. Looking at the CPU labelling in my first post above there are certain differences that are not consistent with images of other T7600's online.T7600 - BIOS F.25 - Intel Processor Identification Utility.pngT7600 - BIOS F.25 - CPU-Z.pngT7600 - BIOS F.25.jpg

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Send it back -- and report it to the fraud folks.

...S

0 Kudos