Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

How do I know if my i7-6700k is properly working or not?

NGala4
Beginner

When I connect it to motherboard it just shows black screen. All the fans connected are working properly and the liqiud cooling system shows the led on and also the led for indication for motherboard turns on which makes it clear that motherboard is working. I still have contacted my motherboard's manufacturer and has sent it for checking. Currently I do not have any lga 1151 supported motherboard and I am afraid to buy a new one and test it since I have fear that my cpu might be fried or shorted and if I will connect it to new motherboard it might fry my other components too. I can not see any damage even with magnifier or any burn marks on processor and nothing has happened which might have damaged my cpu physically. But still I just want to be very sure that if I install my cpu on new motherboard it won't damage my motherboard or any components. Is there anyway to know if my processor has shorted or not ? I have attached some photographs of my cpu.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello peanutbutter,

Thank you for joining the Processor community.

The processor does not seem to have physical damage, we will have to check deeper into this situation in order to find a solution. Please, respond to the questions below;

• Did the unit work before?
  • Was the processor overclocked?
  • What is your motherboard model?
  • What is the RAM brand and model?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
NGala4
Beginner

Thank you Amy,

Yes the unit worked fine before and I have not overclocked it.

My motherboard is Asus Z-170k and as an update as it seems that the asus service center has identified some problem with the cpu socket and they have told me that they are going to change the cpu socket of my motherboard.

I have 2 sticks of RAM of corsair ddr4 2400MHz 8 gb.

It will probably take more than 2 weeks for my motherboard to be repaired so I don't know how can I test if my processor is working or not.

Thank you for the reply.

Regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/113643 peanutbutter, the only way to test the processor is to fit it on a motherboard with compatible components, so at this stage we should wait for the motherboard. If ASUS identified an issue with the motherboard, the root of the issue reported could be related to it, so it will better to wait for the motherboard. There is one more option, but this one in case you have the chance to do it, and the option is to take the processor to a computer shop. Maybe they can help to test the processor on a different motherboard.

Regards,

Amy.

NGala4
Beginner

Thank you very much Amy. This will be all. I will update as soon as I can get a motherboard to test. My concern is, If in case my cpu is fried there is a chance that it will damage my motherboard or any other components?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, please keep me updated.

If the processor is damaged to that point it will not power up the motherboard, so it won't damaged any component.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/113643 peanutbutter, were you able to test the motherboard?

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
NGala4
Beginner

Hello Amy,

I'm so sorry for very late reply but my motherboard just came back, and I have tested and running the cpu right now and it's working like a charm. Looks like processors are lot more tougher than I imagined. All ram slots are working and so far have not got any BSOD or any other issues regarding the cpu. Thank you very much for your assistance.

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

peanutbutter wrote:

Thank you very much Amy. This will be all. I will update as soon as I can get a motherboard to test. My concern is, If in case my cpu is fried there is a chance that it will damage my motherboard or any other components?

No the CPU should not damage the motherboard. Post back if the processor is OK.

0 Kudos
NGala4
Beginner

Yes it has not been damaged and working very fine right now.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/113643 peanutbutter, that it really good to hear!

Hope you can enjoy your Intel® processor.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos