Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

How do I restore the BIOS password?

SA10
Novice

I need to restore the BIOS password. How do I do that?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee
You will need to refer to your motherboard user manual for instructions on how to go into config mode if you don't already know how. Once in config mode, plug the jumper of the BIOS to config mode and go to the BIOS again. You should now have an option to reset the password. hope this helps.<!-- Include only if there are one or more attachments for the solution. -->
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have a serious problem,

My young bro somehow inserted an bios password and forgot it, my manual do not say anything beyond press f2 to enter on bios setup.

The password is requested before the press f2 to setup appears and when i hit f2 i dont go to bios setup.

My manual do not say anything about another way to do something.

I'm sorry about my english errors, I'm from Brazil and I need my computer to work.

A friend told me something about take off the something on motherboard to reset the bios. I don't know for sure, I'm afraid to brake something.

Can you explains how do I change the jumper of the bios to config mode?

Thank you a lot!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi there,

Assuming that you have an Intel Desktop Board:

Here are steps how to change the Bios Jumper to Configuration Mode:

BIOS Configuration Jumper

The three-pin BIOS jumper block enables all board configurations to be done in the BIOS Setup program.

The following table shows the jumper settings for the BIOS Setup program modes.

Jumper SettingModeDescriptionNormal (default) (1-2)The BIOS uses the current configuration and passwords for booting.Configure (2-3)After the Power-On Self-Test (POST) runs, the BIOS displays the Maintenance Menu. Recovery (none)The BIOS recovers data in the event of a failed BIOS update

Then boot up your system, if jumper configured properly, it should go directly into the bios without pressing F2.

You will have a screen similar to this:

Select Clear Bios Password

Save and Exit.

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan

0 Kudos
JJone18
Beginner
  1. On the edge of the motherboard - Most jumpers are located on the side of the motherboard for easy accessibility, verify by looking at all visible edges of the motherboard.
  2. By the CMOS battery - Some manufactures will place the jumper to clear the CMOS or BIOS password by the actual CMOS battery.
  3. By the processor - Some manufactures will place the jumpers by the processor of the computer.
  4. Under the keyboard or bottom of laptop - If you are working on a laptop computer the location of the dip switch (almost never a jumper) can be under the keyboard or on the bottom of the laptop in a compartment such as the memory compartment.
  5. Other visible location - While it is possible that the jumpers or dip switches may not be in a visible location, most manufactures try to make things easier by placing the jumpers or dip switches in another visible location.