Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

How do i gain 4.10 ghz on my i5 8500?

MIsla21
Beginner

My motherboard is asrock performance b360m fatal1ty. I need to know how do i reach at 4.10ghz of my i5 8500 which is stucked at 3.90 ghz.​

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello MIsla21,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Regarding your inquiry, The Intel® Core™ i5-8500 Processor has a Processor Base Frequency of 3.00GHz. and a Max Turbo Frequency of 4.10GHz.

Regarding your inquiry on how to reach the Max Turbo Frequency, it is worth mentioning that this cannot be set manually nor it can't be specified as a permanent and continually operational speed.

The Intel® Core™ i5-8500 Processor supports Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0, and it accelerates processor and graphics performance for peak loads. Whether the processor enters into Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 and the amount of time the processor spends in that state depends on the workload and operating environment.

Maximum turbo frequency indicates the highest possible frequency achievable when conditions allow the processor to enter turbo mode. There are different factors that have an impact on the achievable speed, for instance, processor temperature, type of workload, active cores, power consumption, environment, platform design, etc. Good system integration and thermal design are crucial to get the benefits of Intel Turbo Boost Technology.

Due to varying power characteristics, some parts with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 may not achieve maximum turbo frequencies when running heavy workloads and using multiple cores concurrently. Processors with the same model number running under the same operating conditions may see some frequency or power variance.

Besides the option (when available) for enabling or disabling this technology in the BIOS, no other user-controllable settings to change Intel® Turbo Boost are available and it works automatically under operating system control.

For more information you may refer to the following links:

Having said that, there are some steps you may check to confirm the processor is running as expected and with the latest updates:

1- You can run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to verify the functionality of the Intel® processor.

2- Check Processor Power Settings on Windows:

Right-click the Start menu and select Control Panel >> Click Hardware and Sound >> Select Power Options >> Find Processor power management and test adjusting the settings.

3- Check the AsRock motherboard manual* (make sure it refers to your motherboard model) and confirm with AsRock support* for any settings in the BIOS that may relate to power performance (for instance, Intel® SpeedStep technology), fan control settings, etc. Additionally, you may check with them for any new BIOS update* available and if the fixes included may help with system performance, CPU temperatures readings, etc.

4- Ensure proper airflow to the system and check the fan/cooling system is working fine and properly installed.

Feel free to share the outcome of the steps and how you are monitoring processor speed (which tool is being used for monitoring?)

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
MIsla21
Beginner

Hi Andrew G. ​ In my bios setting there is speed step. Anyway i found that there is option in bios called BLCK overclocking. The default is 800 mhz. Other options are 1ghz, 400 mhz. When i use *max battery* and 400mhz over max non turbo performance. Processor goes upto 4.00 ghz. Idle temp showing 44-45. So is it safe?

My casing is Cooler master mb511. And im also using aftermarket tower cpu cooler.​

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello MIsla21,

Thank you for your response.

The Intel® Core™ i5-8500 Processor has TJUNCTION value of 100°C as you can double-check in the below link: (Junction Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor die):

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/129939/intel-core-i5-8500-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html

We do not handle average values for temperature, but if the temperature of the processor is around 44-45°C we can consider it is safe.

The PC case you mentioned (Cooler Master MB511*) seems to be ATX form factor and has different ventilation holes for airflow, it shouldn't be an issue if it is kept free of obstructions and dust, you can always check with the PC case manufacturer about environmental working conditions and max temperature allow for the internal components. Regarding the aftermarket tower CPU cooler, you just need to make sure it is compatible with the Thermal Design Power (TDP) for this processor: 65 W.

Regarding the BIOS settings you found, it is recommended to check with your motherboard manufacturer regarding what is the specific purpose of every setting and proper configuration.

Also, were you able to run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (Intel PDT)? If yes, what was the outcome?

Regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
MIsla21
Beginner

Well, im going to try that intel processor diagnostic tool, and let you know. And forgot to mention that my cpu cooler is Antec c400 glacial​

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello MIsla21,

Thank you for your response.

Sure, let me know the outcome once you test with the Intel PDT. Also, the CPU Cooler Antec C400 Glacial*, it seems to be compatible with the Processor's socket (FCLGA1151) and a good contact area of copper. I don't see details about TDP specification, you may check with them just to make sure the cooler is capable of dissipating the processor's heat safely.

Regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
MIsla21
Beginner

Intel pdt results- All are passed.

In frequency expected showing-3.00

Measured frequency-2.99984

Frequency check passed.......

But i still don't get my ans. When it will reach 4.10ghz. as an example: when i play Assassin's creed origin cpu usage showing 100% but frequency is max 3.8 to 3.9.

Temperature stays at ​48 to 50C. And my idle temp is 36-38C.

I am using Nvidia 1660 ti ​which is only using its 63%. And im having some fps drop because of the processor. I just bought it 3,4 months ago. New processor. I had i3 8100. But performance isn't a huge change here still. I feel like waste of money here. I should have went for Amd processor. Which are low in price.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello MIsla21,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, it is really appreciated and we respect what you think about the performance.

Based on the facts, the processor is working as expected since all the tests are passed and the processor is even going above the Processor Base Frequency of 3.00GHz, thus, indicating Intel® Turbo Boost is working.

Regarding your inquiry when the processor will reach 4.10GHz, this cannot be controlled by the user nor by a specific app, and it refers to the highest possible frequency achievable. It depends on different factors (temperature, type of workload, power consumption, environment, platform design, etc).

In some cases, the Max Turbo frequency may not be achieved even under 100% load. You may run a CPU Stress test using Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility-Intel® XTU and monitor the behavior and check the "Max Core™ Frequency" behavior, but if the processor is reaching 3.0GHz or any higher value, this will indicate the processor is working within specifications.

Please let us know if you have additional inquiries.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello MIsla21,

I am checking the thread and I hope the information provided has helped to clarify your concerns.

If you have an inquiry about any other subject or feature, please let us know.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos