Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

How hot can I push the 10920x?

DHopk8
Beginner

I have the 10920x OC’d to 4.1GHz when all cores are utilized, and it reaches around 70C under full load. Should I be worried about this chip sitting at 80C if I want to push these numbers higher?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello DHopk8

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

The Intel® Core™ i9-10920X X-series Processor can reach 94°C (that is its T-junction), the temperature that you are reporting are still within the specification.

I would like to share with you the Intel® Performance Maximizer that is a overclocking tool that can be used in you Intel® processor.

You can find more details about the Intel® Performance Maximizer in Frequently Asked Questions for the Intel® Performance Maximizer.

If you are going to use the Intel® processor with overclocking, we recommend using the Intel® Performance Tuning Protection Plan to protect the unit’s warranty.

NOTE: Altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
DHopk8
Beginner
Thank you! So will it be damaging to my CPU if I run it for extended periods (maybe 10-15minutes) at 85C?
0 Kudos
DHopk8
Beginner
Hi again, What is a safe voltage to run my chip at? XTU automatically sets it to 1.3 as a max. 10920x as a reminder.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, these short duration loads shouldn't damage the processor. If you were holding the processor at these temperatures for hours at a time, I would be more concerned, however.

...S

0 Kudos
DHopk8
Beginner
Okay cool. In your opinion, what’s the hottest temperature you would feel comfortable with this particular chip teaching on a daily basis? I’m a video editor, and when my timeline is full of hard to decode clips, or I’m rendering, my CPU will go until full load. These loads only occur for maybe 30 seconds, but up to 10 minutes for a full render. I’d like to overclock a bit higher, but wondering if I get it up to 80C for those longer periods and short repeated bursts, if that is safe. I have a good cooler, and good case airflow. Just wasn’t sure if short durations of higher temps (80-85C) over and over is okay throughout the day.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

80c is perfectly safe for these short durations. Long (and worrisome) durations are hours in length. In that case, I would also be worried about the heat from the processor possible disdaffecting other components on the motherboard as well.

...S

0 Kudos
DHopk8
Beginner
Got it! I just tweaked settings core by core, because I realized some cores ran hotter than others. For example, I’m running core 0 at 4.7 and the others somewhere between 4.1 - 4.5Ghz. I’m sticking to a max temp of around 75C right now as that seems a bit safer. Using Cinebench R20 to benchmark.
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello DHopk8

The operating voltage for the Intel® Core™ i9-10920X X-series Processor is 1.83, it is important taking into consideration that the motherboard provides the voltage to the Intel® processor.  

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello DHopk8

Was the information provided useful for your request?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello DHopk8

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos