Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

How hot can a i5 6600k endure before taking damage?

ARoll1
Beginner

Hey guys,

Well i'm feeling so bad today after i miss plugged my radiator on my new processor.

So i intalled windows 10, and some software, then go back to windows 8.1, installed both the 152 updates and everything. I noticed with a software that my processor was at 85C...then i noticed that my cooling system was not working properly.The fans on the rad were spinning but the pump was not. So my cpu has been that hot for arround maybe more or maybe less 15 hours going (i suppose) between 80C and 100C. Most of the time the pc was idle downloading updates and downloading games.

So do you think i damaged my cpu or his lifespan ? Or it would have shutdown before that ? Or they are made for enduring verry hot temperature?

I noticed that all warning settings were disabled on my motherboard (Gigabyte Gaming 7)

I feel like i smashed my cpu with a hammer !

Thanks for answers !

(sorry for my broken english)
4 Replies
AP16
Valued Contributor III

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/desktop-5th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/desktop-5th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html

Thermal Trip: The processor protects itself from catastrophic overheating by use of an internal thermal sensor. This sensor is set well above the normal operating temperature to ensure that there are no false trips. The processor will stop all execution when the junction temperature exceeds approximately 130 °C. This is signaled to the system by the THERMTRIP# pin.

Its for previous gen. of i5, unlikely the absolute limit was changed lower for gen.6

ARoll1
Beginner

You think i did not made any damage considering that it would have stopped a little bellow 130C ?

130C is the point where it can damage the cpu ?

AP16
Valued Contributor III

From same source:

If TM1 and TM2 have both been active for greater than 20 ms and the processor temperature has not dropped below the TCC activation point, the Critical Temperature Flag in the IA32_THERM_STATUS MSR will be set. This flag is an indicator of a catastrophic thermal solution failure and that the processor cannot reduce its temperature. Unless immediate action is taken to resolve the failure, the processor will probably reach the Thermtrip temperature (see Testability Signals on page 84) within a short time. To prevent possible permanent silicon damage, Intel recommends removing power from the processor within ½ second of the Critical Temperature Flag being set.

I.e. Thermtrip is the temperature of silicon damage.

0 Kudos
Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello NixonRider

If you did not experience any shutdown or throttling while using the computer in the above mentioned period of time, it means the processor temperature was not enough to damage the processor itself.

The thermal solution provides both component-level and system-level thermal management.In order to allow optimal operation and long-term reliability of Intel processor-based systems, the system/processor thermal solution should be designed so that the processor: Remains below the maximum junction temperature (TjMAX) specification at the maximum thermal design power (TDP). and Conforms to system constraints, such as system acoustics, system skin-temperatures, and exhaust-temperature requirements.

Please refer to pages 177 and 178 of http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/desktop-6th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-2.html 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family Datasheet, Vol. 2

Additionally you may find relevant information here http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/desktop-6th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family Datasheet, Vol. 1

In this particular case, I suggest making sure your cooling solution is properly installed in order to ensure there is no risk for your processor anymore.

Note: System and Maximum TDP is based on worst case scenarios. Actual TDP may be lower if not all I/Os for chipsets are used.

Regards,

Caesar B.