Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

How is 8'th gen 8250u not supported by newer versions of XTU?

idiocracy
Novice

Wanted to update XTU, but then i get a unsupported hardware error. First i thought i was an installation error so uninstalled and reinstalled, same error.

On the XTU download page i see that 8250u has been removed, while the program still supports old stuff like i5 4670. Apparently this happened already ~6 months after cpu was released.

The updater didn't mention this at any point, so it took me a while to figure out. Had to reinstall 6.4.1.23 to get everything working again. Super annoying.

How is it possible that XTU stops supporting 8'gen cpu's from 2017 like 6 months after release, but continue to support 4'th gen from 2013?

This really ticks me off.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What operating system AND VERSION are you using?

Doc

0 Kudos
idiocracy
Novice

Using the version mentioned in OP and win10.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

No, the windows 10 version. Go to start, settings, system, about, and look at the bottom of the page.

Doc

0 Kudos
idiocracy
Novice
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, thanks. One of the Intel support engineers will assist you.

Doc

0 Kudos
idiocracy
Novice
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

idiocracy, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Intel® XTU was developed mainly for Intel® Core™ X and K Processors/Unlocked processors and in this case you are using a mobile processor as you can confirm in here:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/124967/intel-core-i5-8250u-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-40-ghz.html

Although it is supported by other platforms, the results may vary and users may only use it for monitoring purposes.

In addition, Intel Extreme Tuning Utility displays various controls and provides access to features based on the system's motherboard and processor configurations. Not all processors provide real-time support for all controls. Motherboard manufacturers can restrict access to various controls that prevent the user from overclocking or optimizing those settings. In other words, the performance of this tool when running on mobile platforms may be limited by BIOS and power management features laptops usually implement.

We recommend contacting the computer manufacturer in the case optimization tools for mobile systems are required.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician   

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
idiocracy
Novice

Just giving you a heads up that you posted in the wrong thread. It is my nickname and cpu, but the rest looks like it belongs in a different thread.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

idiocracy, Thank you for your response.

The answer provided previously was just to let you know that currently, the Intel® XTU it works mainly for Intel® Core™ X and K Processors/Unlocked processors and that might be the reason why your Intel® Intel® Core™ i5-8250U processor was removed for the list of supported products.

The rest was a brief explanation of what the tool does and to inform you that some processors do not work as expected initially, that is why an older processor such as Intel® Core™ i5-4670 remains on the list and some newer ones were removed.

I will confirm this information and as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
idiocracy
Novice

So you're saying 8250u among others i assume were removed because intel only wants XTU to work with X and K series cpu's, regardless of the functionalities those users can benefit from XTU.

That some processors "don't work as expected initially" insinuates that it was temporarily removed to fix bugs, either microcode or XTU bugs. If that is the case it does not make much sense why they wouldn't inform affected users of that.

After some research it would appear 6.5.1.321 works perfectly fine with 8250u if you do a small edit before installing. This could be a big middle finger from intel to none X and K consumers because they want XTU to only work for those cpu's. regardless of usability for other users ie: undervolting etc.

Mine is running -90mV on cpu and -100mV on gpu, saves a lot on battery and heat.

I'm curious to see what update you'll have after confirming the information.

Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

idiocracy, Thank you very much for providing those details.

In reference to your question about the Intel® processor being removed from the list to fix bugs, there is no official information from Intel® in regards to that statement, so we cannot guarantee that the processor will be added to the list of supported units again.

I just received an update on this topic. Intel® XTU has been specially promoted as a way to overclock and performance-tune the different platforms.

However, the Intel® XTU presents updates based on those Intel® processors that can afford overclocking, thermal load, core voltage, etc and they will be properly monitored as well. Most of the laptops using Intel® mobile processors are not capable of overclocking and the tool is not focusing on those due to the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) restrictions.

So, based on the features of the Intel® processors, the unit can continue in the list, it might have some updates or it could be disregard.

Just to let you know, I send your feedback and comments to the proper department for them to be aware of your suggestions for future products.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
idiocracy
Novice

That wasn't a question, but a reply to your insinuation "to inform you that some processors do not work as expected initially, that is why an older processor such as Intel® Core™ i5-4670 remains on the list and some newer ones were removed."

I'm assuming that some vendors might create limitations to be able to read all the cpu information or sensors, which sounds odd they'd do that, i have not seen such a thing from either acer or asus. But that doesn't mean others can't, but as i've never seen it i can't really comment on that. Understably those users wouldn't be able to use xtu for much.

It would appear i was correct about this being a middle finger from intel to none X and K consumers who wants to tweak their systems ie: undervolt. As mentioned above 6.5.1.321 works fine with 8250u. I know there's other tools which can do the same, but that is besides the point as this is about intel not supporting it's own products.

Thank you for your time and help.

Udklip.PNG

At least now we know intel has turned xtu into a sales pitch.

Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

idiocracy, You are very welcome, I hope the information provided was useful and helpful for you.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos