Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14397 Discussions

How much RAM a i3-8145u processor can support?

giohbello
Beginner

Hi all, I have a Laptop Inspiron 14" 5481 2 in1 model. It has i3-8145u 2.10GHz processor and it has 4Gb RAM by default and has an additional spot empty so I want to add some RAM because the performance is very slow, 

My question is how much RAM can support this processor? 
When I bought it the salesman said that probably 6 Gb but I'm not sure. 

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Maria_R_Intel

Hello giohbello,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community Forums.

The Intel® Core™ i3-8145U Processor supports a max memory Size (dependent on memory type) of 64 GB.

These are some other specifications that you may find useful:

• Memory Types: DDR4-2400, LPDDR3-2133
  • Max # of Memory Channels: 2
  • Max Memory Bandwidth: 37.5 GB/s
  • ECC Memory Supported ‡ No

Keep in mind that I am only providing the information of the CPU in stock settings and we do not have control over any customization that the equipment manufacturer has performed. I highly recommend contacting Dell to confirm this information and make sure you are provided with the proper instructions for this and compatible RAM that will work and fit on your pre-built system.

I will proceed to close this thread, If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It's a toss up. Another 4GB would be best for memory performance (interleaved bus operations). If you put more than that - say, an 8GB - this would lower the memory performance but improve things at the Windows level.

...S

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello giohbello,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community Forums.

The Intel® Core™ i3-8145U Processor supports a max memory Size (dependent on memory type) of 64 GB.

These are some other specifications that you may find useful:

• Memory Types: DDR4-2400, LPDDR3-2133
  • Max # of Memory Channels: 2
  • Max Memory Bandwidth: 37.5 GB/s
  • ECC Memory Supported ‡ No

Keep in mind that I am only providing the information of the CPU in stock settings and we do not have control over any customization that the equipment manufacturer has performed. I highly recommend contacting Dell to confirm this information and make sure you are provided with the proper instructions for this and compatible RAM that will work and fit on your pre-built system.

I will proceed to close this thread, If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos