Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14780 Discussions

How the hyper architecture work on HPC

Ezra_Dev
Beginner

Hi everyone,

As a developer, I want to ensure that the p-core and e-core work together on HPC tasks.  For example,

I use the 13900k to run a deep learning training task, with 24 samples on each batch. If the system fully utilizes 24 threads, both p-core and e-core would join this work. But, how do the two types of cores collaborate? For this scenario, I have below questions:

1. Obviously, the p-core can run faster than e-cores, could the thread director re-assign the tasks currently running on the e-cores to the idle p-cores to accelerate the whole process?

2. Could I force the threads only run on the p-cores rather than e-cores before starting the task? From the game dev guideline for 12th processors, there are some APIs that could indicate the priority of the task, but the assignment of actual hardware resources is still determined by windows.

Otherwise, could anyone provide more documents about how the hyper architecture works with me? Official documents are rare.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Ezra_Dev

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I will gladly assist you here. 

I would like to explain that the P-cores and E-cores share the same instructions set. The available instruction sets, when hybrid computing is enabled, is limited compared to the instruction sets available to P-cores, which means that P-core and E-core frequencies will be determined by the processor algorithmic, to maximize performance and power optimization. 

You can verify this information on the 12th gen processors datasheet, page 44. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Ezra_Dev

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Ezra_Dev

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos