Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

How to always use the maximum number of P-cores and E-cores

Maritea
Beginner

Hi,

I am using a 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K with Windows 10 pro.

When I am using 3D software to render images, the CPU is running a total of 16 cores using both P-cores and E-cores. That's good.

However, if I open a website or open a different program (e.g. Photoshop or After Effects) during rendering, only half of the cores are used (8 cores) and the computer becomes very slow. It is very inconvenient to use only 8 cores in total.

And back to the 3D software, 16 cores are used, which means that nothing else can be done during rendering. I liked my previous i9 10980XE because I could do various tasks while rendering, and I want to use it the same way.

It does not change when Speed Optimizer is turned on using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.
(I am not very familiar with CPUs so I have not done any tuning.)

How can I disable the switching of P-cores and E-cores so that I can always use the maximum number of cores, as the CPU used to?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jean_Intel

Hello Maritea,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

Regarding your question, the process of utilizing the P-cores or E-cores depends on the operating system and the task running at the moment; there is no way to change the configurations of the CPU to run the maximum number of cores. However, you can try changing the CPU affinity. It is based on the Operating System, and you need to contact the developer of the operating system seeking help on how to do it.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Maritea
Beginner

Hi Jean,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that.

I would like to ask you one more question, if you don't mind.
I have seen information that this 12th CPU is optimized for Windows 11. Will it be more comfortable than Windows 10 at this stage?
If so, I will consider updating.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Maritea,

Regarding your question, Intel worked alongside Microsoft for the Windows operating systems optimization with our 12-generation processors. We can't confirm which operating system is more optimized for our CPUs. You should contact Microsoft since they have more control over their product, and they will provide you with a more appropriate answer to your query. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Maritea,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos