Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

How to find the cores that share L1 cache in Xeon (R) D-1548 processor

SSand7
Beginner

I need to find the cores that utilize the same L1 cache in xeon d-1548 processor.As the Intel Xeon D-1548 has

The number of CPU cores8The number of threads16Floating Point UnitIntegratedLevel 1 cache size http://www.cpu-world.com/Glossary/L/Level_1_cache.html ? 8 x 32 KB instruction caches

8 x 32 KB data cachesLevel 2 cache size http://www.cpu-world.com/Glossary/L/Level_2_cache.html ? 8 x 256 KB cachesLevel 3 cache size12 MBPhysical memory128 GB

how to know which all logical cores are utilizing the same L1 level cores.The cpu numbers from 0,..., 16.

What are the logical processors sharing a same core, can the numbers be known ? Is it like CPU0 and CPU1 are residing on the same core number 1.How to find it exactly.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is quite simple. You have 8 Cores, numbered 0 to 7. You have 16 Threads, numbered 0 to 15. Thread0 and Thread1 share the resources of Core0, Thread2 and Thread3 share the resources of Core1, etc. In this particular processor's case, there are L1 and L2 caches that are exclusively used by each Core (and shared by the Threads running on this Core). The L3 cache is then shared by all 8 Cores.

Does that answer your question?

...S

0 Kudos
SSand7
Beginner

Thank you for the answer sir.Actually I wanted to know if there is any command that shows us the real sharing of the caches in SMT processors.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, there are forms of the CPUID instruction that you can use to obtain information about the caches that are available, their associativity, etc. Is there anything that will specifically tell you what resources being used by a particular thread? None that I am aware of.

...S

0 Kudos
SSand7
Beginner

I got the correct arrangement of processors in cores by using a hwloc tool .It gives both graphical and text output of the hardware details.Thank you for answering my question.

0 Kudos