Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

How to get my system to recognize all 24 GB memory

idata
Employee

Hi,

I have an i7 930 Bloomfield processor, in an x58 motherboard that I built around 2 years ago. I specifically purchased this computer to eventually be able to run it with 24 GB of memory - but only installed 8 to start with. With the recent reduction in the cost of RAM, I purchased the additional RAM chips necessary to take my computer to the max of it's supposed capability.

However, when I installed the additional RAM chips - it only recognizes 20 MB and only USES 16 of them. Why?

I have rotated the chips around, to check if it's a faulty chip that causes the total loss of the 4 MB, and all of them seem to work, so I can be convinced that perhaps my motherboard has a faulty slot.

However, if the computer can recognize that there are 20 MB of ram, why it it only showing use of 16?

I've done my research and can find no answers other than "above my head" stuff about changing the bios (not a computer geek - I'm a graphic artist). I did find out that for sure, not only does my motherboard have 6 slots, and will support 24 MB Ram, my 930 Bloomfield chip is also supposed to support 24 MB of ram.

Please, don't give me the usual answers that I find in other forums to people that have also had this problem of "WHY do I think I need 24 MB of ram". I do a lot of graphics work, with several probrams open at a time, so there is no such thing as more RAM than needed. While perhaps I can get along with only 16, I've purchased 24, purchased a machine that was supposed to support 24 - and would like a little expert help in getting what I've got to work the way it's supposed to.

Can anyone help me out with instruction on how to adjust my bios if that's what's necessary - as in step-by-step instructions. I'd really appreciate any help that I can get to fix this problem.

Daria

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

BTW, I'm running 64 bit and using Windows 7.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Which version of W7 are you using? If it's home premium then it is only licensed to use a maximum of 16GB of RAM.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am using Windows 7 Professional.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If you run Task Manager and click performance, then resource monitor, and finally clicking memory you should see a detail picture of your computer's memory and it's allocation or usage.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, I'm aware of that - it shows:

Available: 14,266 MB

Cached: 1309 MB

Total 16,375 MB

Installed: 20,480 MB.

Why won't it use more of the installed MB?, ie. show closer to the 20 MG installed in the Total MB?

Daria

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The difference between total memory and installed memory is 4105 mb. I'm not sure if you you can see this under Hardware reserved in the Resource Monitor. But in my system the difference is due to the Hardware reserved allocation.

As to why all the 20 gb is not used up can be explained as it is dependent (that is amount to be use) on the programs run at the particular instance. From the indicated figures the system still has 14 gb left for use by whatever program you planned to run.

To ascertain that your 24 gb ram is recognized by windows you can check it by clicking system then view amount of ram and processor speed under control panel's System and Security.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It's in System that it says 20.0 GB (16.0 GB useable)

Do you mean to say that when I had 8 GB installed, I only was able to use 4?

That's an aweful lot of memory to just be sitting around un-useable - specially considering the price.

0 Kudos