Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

How to get refund or upgrade under UK Consumer Laws

CHorn2
Beginner

Hi,

Haswell and therefore one of the more impacted users.

Like everyone, I have seen the news regarding the security flaws in Intels CPUs (others too, but I am an Intel user, so the focus is on Intel). What I havent seen is any acknowledgement as yet, for how UK consumers, who are protected by laws which mean any defective product sold, regardless of time frame, will be subject to a refund of the full cost. The onus is on me, the consumer to prove the defect was present at the point of sale, which I think is a given at this point....

Six months or more

If a fault develops after the first six months, the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time of delivery.

In practice, this may require some form of expert report, opinion or evidence of similar problems across the product range.

Find out more about how to https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product return a faulty item and claim a refund, repair or replacement from a retailer.

You have six years to take a claim to the small claims court for faulty goods in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and five years in Scotland.

This doesn't mean that a product has to last six years - just that you have this length of time in which to make a claim if a retailer refuses to repair or replace a faulty product.

Obviously it may involve a trip to the small claims court, but under UK law, its basically a given I and everyone else would win. So are we aware of any streamlined options at this point to save everyone a lot of hassle?solved

I hope this can be resolved in good time, I am still under warranty on my CPU also, not that it would matter under these circumstances as the UK laws apply for 6 years.

Kind regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi UiRChris: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Processors communities. We will do our best to provide the information you are looking for.

I sent you a private message, please check your inbox.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
intros2010tg
Novice

Is it really unique in the law jurisdictions of different countries? When I've had almost the same jural issues, I've been asking US lawyers ( from here: https://federal-lawyer.com/legal-malpractice-defense/ ), to help me in resolving those ones. That firm has plenty of truly professional lawyers, which know how to win a lawsuit.

0 Kudos