Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

How to keep cpu stable for Digital Audio Workstation use?

lahatte
Beginner

Hi. I have an i7 11700K in an ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero motherboard. I use Cubase as a digital audio workstation. 

Cubase has a cpu usage meter for it's internal processing. The cpu meter should be stable, but at idle it typically moves around a bit, and often peaks (spiking). When I actually play a virtual instrument and make sound it can go very high and move a lot and peak. This should not be happening. 

I have the computer set to overclock to about 5GHz, but it does not stay there consistently throttles down?), which I am assuming is why the cpu meter is not fairly steady (which it should be). As I understand it having cpu throttling occur leads to less stability for audio applications.

I haven't been able to find clear instruction via the ASUS info for the BIOS adjustments for this motherboard, and thus I do not know exactly what to set, and to what values.

Any help solving this is appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello lahatte,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I am sorry you are having issues with your Intel® Core™ i7-11700K Processor. I will be glad to assist you.

Please be aware that overclocking it is not supported/recommended, as it can reduce system stability and performance. There is also the possibility of damage or reduce the useful life of the processor.

We may be able to troubleshoot the issue and test the processor, but first it needs to be running under its specifications.

As well, for BIOS settings, we recommend contacting the board manufacturer (Asus), as the settings may vary depending on the board.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

We would like to know if you were you able to check the previous post.

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
lahatte
Beginner

Hi. Not yet. I will have to try to get the system running without overclocking. But I'm not sure I want to do that as I might not be able to get it back to where it is now.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Many thanks for your response.

Please let me know once you have set the processor back to default specifications in order to continue with the troubleshooting.

In case you need it, please fin this article: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/overclocking-intel-processors.html

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

We would like to know if you were you able to check the previous post.

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Since we have not heard back from you, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos