Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

How to write firmware for Intel Atom x5 Z8350

YeaTheMen
Beginner

Hey. I am a relatively new PCB Designer but with many years of experience in programming. I am not part of any Intel Partnership as I am just a hobbyist but am teaching myself how to make x86 SBC's. Anyways. In a conversation it was brought up to me that due to the security features in the Intel Management Engine of the atom cpu, I won't be able to execute my own custom firmware (atleast in secureboot mode). And I was wondering if this was true. Can I not just connect the CPU to a flash chip and ram and have it execute my own instructions? If not. How would I go about getting an official working custom bios? Thankyou.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @YeaTheMen

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Please allow us to review further this request and inquiries. As soon as more details are available or if additional information is required we will be posting back in the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello YeaTheMen

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, we would like to inform you that as per the PCN 117818-00 information for Intel Atom® x5-Z8350 Processor, (you can find it in the product specifications under the tab "Ordering and Compliance"), the support was transferred to the Embedded Architecture.

Usually, embedded processor design companies are directly supported by Field Application Engineers (FAEs) and they can use Intel® Premier Support (IPS) to submit issues. To get an IPS account setup and activated, companies and customers should contact their FAE.

In this case, if you are not supported by a FAE nor don’t have access to IPS, our recommendation is to post this question in the Embedded Intel Atom® Processors forum where an Intel dedicated team will support inquiries about Embedded CPUs.

Also, you may review our Resource & Design Center where you may find technical documentation, software, tools, and support you need to design and build with Intel® products.

Some of this information it's public and some other information might need special rights, for instance, a Corporate Non-Disclosure Agreement (CNDA) with Intel.

You need to register first and create an account in order to access the public resources available. Please refer to the Sign-in link.

We hope this helps. Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now from our site. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos