Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

I Think my i7 6700k CPU has a fault

ARolp
Beginner

I have an issue with my I7 6700k. its been like this since I purchased it and I thought that this is the way it is. However, a few people have said it sounds like a fault in the processer

Essentially it runs really hot all the time and instantly spikes to 100C

Even when idling the tempreture sits between 60c to 70c

Even downloading the intel diagnostic tool caused 2 cores to spike up to 100C

I am not running a stck cpu cooler and am running a Corsair H115I 280mm watercooler.

Running the intel diagnostic tool gives a Fail with the following

--- IPDT64 - Revision: 4.1.0.24

--- IPDT64 - Start Time: 12/01/2018 20:06:45

----------------------------------------------

-- Testing

CPU 1 - Genuine Intel - Pass.

CPU 1 - BrandString - Pass.

CPU 1 - Cache - Pass.

CPU 1 - MMXSSE - Pass.

CPU 1 - IMC - Pass.

CPU 1 - Prime Number - Pass.

CPU 1 - Floating Point - Pass.

CPU 1 - Math - Pass.

CPU 1 - GPUStressW - Pass.

Temperature Monitor Stopped

Temperature Monitor Failed

IPDT64 Failed

--- IPDT64 - Revision: 4.1.0.24

--- IPDT64 - End Time: 12/01/2018 20:09:50

FAIL

So I was wondering if this is enough to put a warranty request on my CPU?

If so whats the process on returning the item

here is a screen grab of my system temps running just after the diags failed

Thanks in advance

Andy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

I was going to ask if the pump is running in your water cooler but then I realised that you did not say your system was unstable or crashing at those temps. And so if the CPU runs fine then it's probably an issue with the thermal sensor causing it to report the wrong temps (as at those temps the system should be unstable or worse) If the CPU is still under warranty then file a request as it's important to have the temps report properly as certain features like fan speeds CPU Ghz speeds etc depend on the reported temperatures.

Try rebooting after using your PC and right away enter the BIOS see what the temperature reads in your BIOS. If it reports the same high temps then there's definitively an issue with your CPU (or motherboard sensor). If the temperature is much lower like 40-60 then whatever temperature monitoring software your currently running - if it's reporting wrong it could also be causing an issue with other temperature reading software especially if there is a bug in the current monitoring software which looks like it might also be a stay resident program (which means it could effect other programs ability to read/report)

0 Kudos
ARolp
Beginner

thanks for the response,

The system does run stability, the only issue i have is comming out of hibernation but i think that a whole different issue. if i drop into the bios i see the same temp readings.

So i think i will raise a RMA and see where that takes me

thanks again for the reply

Andy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Drewland

We received your inquiry and I understand that you are looking for the replacement of the CPU. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may be causing. We will be more than happy looking for a solution.

Before you contact us for replacement you may find additional troubleshooting steps on the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005776/processors.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005776/processors.html

To start looking for information on the warranty please contact us at:

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/contact-support.html# @2 https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/contact-support.html# @2

I sent you a private message please see your inbox

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Those additional steps indicate that he is having a thermal issue from - for example his heat sink being not connected or seated properly. If this was the case his system would be unstable at those temperatures. Also when he ran IPDT64 temperature test if the heat sink was not installed correctly then it would have reported a temperature of around 98c like the BIOS temperature and Corsair software is reporting. Instead IPDT64 failed while attempting to report the temperature meaning there must be a fault with the CPU's thermal sensor or pathways. Also note that the Corsair water cooler software is reporting that the temperature of the water in the cooler is 43.4c which is more likely the actual temperature of the CPU.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Drewland

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos