Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14535 Discussions

I accidentally turned on my PC (the Intel i9) without a heatsink: it turned off after 15 or so seconds. Is it okay or is it damaged permanently?

JGree46
Beginner

i have a newer Asus top notch motherboard and I was not thinking about the heatsink for some reason and I powered on the computer. It was on for about 15 or so seconds before powering off and beeping. I felt the CPU and it was pretty hot but not to hot to touch. I had no cpu fan connected to the mb either. Do you think everything just powered off to save itself or is everything fried? I was reading that it will auto power down in a case like this to prevent damage. Any assistance from you more educated computer gurus will be much appreciated

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello JGree46

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

The processor power off itself in order to prevent damage because of the high reached as the system did not have any cooling solution  

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The THERMTRIP feature is designed to protect the processor from thermal runaway. This is usually not damaging to the processor (that's what the feature is for, after all), but you really should avoid doing so as it can also have a detrimental effect on the processor's lifetime (not to mention the motherboard and other components on it).

...S

0 Kudos