Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

I am not getting the proper performance out of my i7-8700 processor

caleb0402
Beginner

I play games like Overwatch, CSGO, Fortnite, Call of Duty, and Minecraft. I recently just got an i7-8700 8th gen 6 core for christmas to upgrade from my i5. I have an Alien Ware Aurora r7 with a GTX 1070. First thing I noticed when putting it in is that it didn't sound right. The intel fan and my other fan I have made a really loud helicopter noise. I have a 144hz monitor and for people who have one when you get below 144fps in game it looks bad. On my old i5 I got 144+ fps on fortnite 150+ on overwatch and about 130 in fights. In CSGO I got about 180-300+ and in Call of Duty Black ops 3 I got about 130 fps, and in Minecraft about 1000+ in single player and 600-1200 in multiplayer. My i7 can't even push 200 on minecraft and it can't push 100 in overwatch and CSGO. When I tried other games it would get about 50-100 or even lower. We have tried a BIOS and CMOS reset but it didn't work. Anything you guys know that I can do? If you wanna email you can at gasmanplays@gmail or clivingston0402@gmail.com if you would like to give me more info instead of just this replying.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello caleb0402, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. First, I would like to know if you checked with the manufacturer (Dell) before doing this upgrade, this is important because the whole system has been set up to work with the previous processor. If not then it is recommended that you contact Dell* and ask if this processor has been tested in that system before. Also, I would like to mention that you can try deleting any existing profiles with your NVIDIA* video card and create new ones since the previous profiles were created with the previous processor, this is just an extra step that could be taken into consideration. If no profiles were created before then please skip this step. To check that the processor is giving you the right performance, you can download the Intel ® Processor Diagnostic Tool, this will test the performance and see if there is any issue, please refer to the link below: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool If possible, attach the results here in a .txt file. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
caleb0402
Beginner

Hello So last night I tried to replace the fan with my original Alien Ware fan and the PC didn't turn on so i switch fans and now it won't even come on. I reset my PC, and I ran a diagnostic and it said everything was fine. I researched before hand and it was possible to do this upgrade.

0 Kudos
caleb0402
Beginner

It use to work with the other fan and now I think it might only work with the fan you guys sent me. When my dad gets home we will put in your fan and see if it works. But I have no nvidia profiles and I ran the diagnostic but nothing was wrong.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello caleb0402, Thank you for your response. I understand you researched before doing the upgrade; nevertheless, it is important to get in contact with the manufacturer first because there are other aspects that must be taken into consideration when upgrading, including but not limited to the BIOS configuration, BIOS version running, power received by the power supply. I would strongly suggest you to first contact Dell* so they can assist you with the process of upgrading the processor since they are the ones who manufactured the system you are using. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello caleb0402, I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you. Were you able to get in contact with Dell* support? If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos