Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

I can only install 32 bits Windows but my CPU supports 64... Error 0x000000c4

Beniofisial
Beginner

Hello, when I install a Windows (any version) 64 bit version I can't run it. Can only run 32 bits.

I've changed my CPU from a E4500 to a Xeon L5410, which both support 64 bits, but with this new one I can't. My motherboard is a G41M 775 board.

It shows the error code 0x000000c4 when booting the system trying to run a 64 bits version, but with 32 it works "fine" (it's slowler, obvious…).

I have checked everything and works well. Maybe I have to update the Bios but don't know what to do or if I might need any specific step or update.

I had to screenshot it from a video because it disappears quickly...I had to screenshot it from a video because it disappears quickly...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

The L5410 may support 64bit windows, but the L5410 is not supported by your board:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-G41M-Combo-rev-13/support#support-cpu

In fact, they are different sockets:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=33090,30781

However, your E4500 does support 64-bit, so just switch back to that processor.

0 Kudos
Beniofisial
Beginner

Yeah, the Xeon is a 771 CPU adapted to 775. That is was made me think that the solution would be a Bios update, because, if it didn't work in my mboard, why is running it with 32 bits...?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If the BIOS doesn't have support for a particular processor, then you simply should not use it. The supported processor documentation would take into account all available BIOS updates, so there is absolutely no chance of there being a BIOS update that fixes this. If you can return this processor for refund, you should.

...S

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Sorry, even if it is a bios problem, you need to contact the manufacturer of the board.  They say it is not compatible with their board, and Intel says it is not socket compatible.

This is not an Intel problem.

0 Kudos